Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Just in time" SuccesssView in SearchProductsContr

Hi ,

May be this is a newbie question.

There is a SearchProductsController which implement interface Controller in jpetstore . (most of the time the interface Controller use to do search action)

The SearchProductsController in jpetstore return a ModelAndView.

Code:
    public ModelAndView handleRequest(..){

return new ModelAndView("SearchProducts", "productList", productList);

}
    The above "SearchProducts" is a view that hardcode in the controller ,if we don't want hardcode it , we can add a property successView in the class , and get/set it , then use IOC to inject the view "SearchProducts"
    into the SearchProductsController in petstore-servlet.xml.

Since SearchProductsController in jpetstore just return SAME successView for each jsp pages , but in my imagination scenario , SearchProductsController can be reuse in many jsp pages to display products , it may need DIFFERENT successView.

Let's consider the folowing scenario , l have two views , View1.jsp and View2.jsp .

View1.jsp -- have two forms .

form1 use SimpleformController to add something to DB.
    form2 use SearchProductsController to search products . After a success search , it will back to View1.jsp and display products.

View2.jsp -- have two forms also.

form3 use SimpleformController to edit something to DB.
    form4 use SearchProductsController to search products . After a success search , it will back to View2.jsp and display products.

both REUSE the SAME SearchProductsController to display products in the SAME pages.

If the description above OK , then l first came to the code bellow ,

Code:
      <bean id="searchProductsControllerForView1" class="com.amazon.web.SearchProductsController">
                  <property name="store"><ref bean="store"/></property>
                  <property name="successView"><value>View1</value></property>
            </bean>

<bean id="searchProductsControllerForView2" class="com.amazon.web.SearchProductsController">
                  <property name="successView"><value>View2</value></property>
            </bean>
    Then my question is , if l want to REUSE SearchProductsController in N jsp pages , then l have to write above code N times ? initialize MULTI SearchProductsController instances ?

Or

Make a "just in time SuccesssView" from View1.jsp/View2.jsp using request's parameter to "inject" a successView into view's SearchProductsController , it seen a lot security problem here ??

Any thought ?

Note that the SearchProductsController is hardcoding a "logical view name", not a reference to the physical view resource. A view resolver will resolve the view name and select an appropriate view implementation.

I see 2 possible solutions to your problem:

1) low tech: Use a successView request parameter, as you already suggest. This is the approach taken by most web applications (e.g. Confluence uses an "os_destination" parameter). You could try to plug the security issue that this introduces by not using a clear text view name in the parameter, but some encoded form, and then have a custom ViewResolver to resolve that encoded view name.

2) high tech: Use Spring web flow.

Maybe you could also use a custom ViewResolver implementation to fix the problem.

Erwin

Comment

ya , l tried spring webflow , it don't have the problem to REUSE the SearchProductsController, but my question is how to do it in spring MVC without using parameter injection ? ( l personally don't like the idea , l did it before , but cause a lot problems).

In struts , it seen no problem with this .

from the code below , l can REUSE the controllers N times l like ( the code is from the Struts 2.4 example application)

Code:
      <action path="/Welcome1"
      type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.WelcomeAction">
      <forward name="failure" path="/Error1.jsp" />
      <forward name="success" path="/welcome2.jsp" />
      </action>

<action path="/Welcome2"
      type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.WelcomeAction">
      <forward name="failure" path="/Error2.jsp" />
      <forward name="success" path="/welcome3.jsp" />
      </action>
      those people using spring MVC did not encounter the problem l have ?

moon

Comment

l tested already , searchProductsControllerForView1 and searchProductsControllerForView2 are DIFFERENT instances if l wrote it the way in my first post , but spring promote SINGLETON , right ? or my understanding of the concept of singleton is wrong.

neither the way below to REUSE the SearchProductsController is SINGLETON, they are DIFFERENT instances too !

Code:
        <bean name="/store/searchProductsControllerForView1.htm" class="com.amazon.web.SearchProductsController"> 
                      <property name="successView"><value>View1</value></property> 
                </bean> 

<bean name="/store/searchProductsControllerForView2.htm" class="com.amazon.web.SearchProductsController"> 
                      <property name="successView"><value>View2</value></property> 
                </bean>
        They are NO way to REUSE controllers in spring MVC without multi instants ?

moon

Comment

I don't think Spring promotes singletons, and certainly not when they're not appropriate.

I don't see the reason why you are so keen in having a single instance of the controller, configured differently depending on the usage situation?

I would argue that the piece of Struts config and the piece of Spring MVC config you posted are logically the same:
          * they reuse a single controller implementation class
          * and configure it differently for each usage

Erwin

Comment

Surely you actually don't want the same instance of the controller in both cases. Else how could you have different values for the successView property?

But beans "/store/searchProductsControllerForView1.htm" and "/store/searchProductsControllerForView2.htm" are both singletons in the sense that a call to getBean("/store/searchProductsControllerForView2.htm") will always return the same instance.

Comment

Sorry for late reply.

I would argue that the piece of Struts config and the piece of Spring MVC config you posted are logically the same:
              * they reuse a single controller implementation class
              * and configure it differently for each usage
              Yes , you are right , Erwin.

Struts , Webwork2 and Spring MVC are the ALL same about these. For Webwork2 , it stated in their docs.pdf (version 2.1.7) pg.185 ,

Each action should be configured within a Spring application context as a prototype (because WebWork assumes a new instance of a class for every action invocation).
              , although ALL framework do the same thing , is that mean l cannot REUSE the simple searchProductsController ( just a simple controller that implements Controller )? NO , right ? this is just a trivial REUSE problem --> searchProductsController CAN be reused is an established premise. , but may be not the the way these frameworks did .

Surely you actually don't want the same instance of the controller in both cases. Else how could you have different values for the successView property?
              No, l DO want the same instance of the controller in both cases.

my point of view is , because spring MVC ( l did not check the other two frameworks) let succesView enter (as a properties) to the controller , so cause the difficulty to have "different values for the successView property" . But what if l take out the succesView as a properties from the Controller , use another way to inform searchProductsController go to the correct page after a success action ? like spring-webflow did ? , spring-webflow can reuse the searchProductsController N times in different flows , but just write once for the searchProductsController bean in xxx-servler.xml , and of course it is a single instance.

I don't see the reason why you are so keen in having a single instance of the controller, configured differently depending on the usage situation?
              because l found way in spring-webflow , but not spring original MVC.

There are two criterias in my head,

Criteria 1
              It is not the responsibility for the client to decide where to go.
              -- means that client cannot inject successView into controller.

Criteria 2
              Neither is the responsibility of the controller.
              -- means that successView enter the Controller as properties cause the difficulty l described above.

Am l wrong in my point of view ?

moon

Comment

Working...
              X