Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring book?

Hi,

Can someone please recommend a book to learn Spring?

And what are the difference between these 2 books? Do I need them to learn Spring?

Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development (June 2003 reprint)

Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB

Thank you.

The main ones out there are ProSpring and Spring In Action. I've read over both and prefer the Spring In Action book. I've always liked the "In Action" series and feel they introduce and explain concepts clearer. The ProSpring appers to have a lot more content (pages) but on the subjects I was interested in, I found Spring In Action to be more useful.

Having said that, I am sure you can't go wrong with either book....

Comment

Hi,

I have read both

Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development (June 2003 reprint)
      Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB

I'm no critic, but both are well written (albeit a bit dry) and good books. That opened my eyes quite a bit to the reality of J2EE. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of overlap. I would go for J2EE Development without EJB, its newer and is what most people would be interested in. The older J2EE Design and Development talks about some things which have been refined considerable since the first book, so its somewhat out of date. Personally, I think that if you were to buy the first, you should really get the second on a CD, but I guess that would put a dent in the book sales

However, that being said, I would recommend that you go for one of the newer ones. One thing that Rod doesn't do such a great job of is get down to the nitty gritty with many of the topics. SIA and PS both look to me to be a better resource to learn spring than Rod's books, which focus a bit more on the architecture of spring rather than the how to use spring (thats a generalization, so not completely accurate I'm sure). The problem is the online docs are just so so (missing parts, incomplete sections etc) which means that IMHO you NEED one of SIA or PS to really have a good reference. Otherwise I think that you will fumble a bit like I have on occasion.

I'm glad I bought J2EE Development without EJB, especially considering I didn't have many choices and will be buying Pro Spring tonight.

I hope that helps,

Mark

Comment

I'd still recommend reading "Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development". There is plenty of material covered in that book referenced by the sequel.

I've also gone with Pro Spring which I'm very happy with. There are lots of little samples (and a bigger application demo) which are excellent for gaining a good understanding of how Spring works. These examples are easily run from Eclipse.

Comment

Originally posted by katentim
          I'd still recommend reading "Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development". There is plenty of material covered in that book referenced by the sequel.
          I definitely agree with this.

I have also read all books mentioned above except for Pro Spring which amazon UK can't seem to deliver.
          I have found that Spring In Action explain things very clearly and in a humorous way, Spring Live is good in the sense that it covers Spring basics in step by step drills which leaves little room for error and it's also continually updated whereas J2EE without EJB is more of an architecture book that covers the J2EE landscape and trends, and It does so by dispelling a lot of myths along the way.

Comment

Working...
          X