Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to learn, keep getting the same problem.

I've recently started learning Spring. I've looked at the online MVC tutorial and have used "Spring, A Developer's Notebook". I keep running into the same problem. I define a bean in the *servlet.xml file that has a property with a value. After deploying the code to tomcat (6.0.16) and starting up, I keep getting initialization of bean failed. It seems to not be reading or interpreting the value. Here is part of my servlet.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE beans PUBLIC "-//SPRING//DTD BEAN/EN" "http://www.springframework.org/dtd/spring-beans.dtd">
    <beans>

<bean id="rentaBike" class="com.springbook.ArrayListRentABike">
    <property name="storeName"><value>Bruce's Bikes</value></property>
    </bean>

And here is the error I receive from tomcat:

SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationExce ption: Error creating bean with name 'rentaBike' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/RentABikeApp-servlet.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.TypeMismatchException: Failed to convert property value of type [java.lang.String] to required type [java.lang.String] for property 'storeName'; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Original must not be null
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Abstract AutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAu towireCapableBeanFactory.java:470)

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a copy of this book, but have you checked the errata?

Comment

Yes repeatedly

yes, many times. I've reread the chapters. By the way. It is also happening with the tutorial that is on the springframework.org web site.

Comment

In the class com.springbook.ArrayListRentABike, of what type is storeName?

Comment

Originally posted by boblaw View Post
          Code:
          		<property name="storeName"><value>Bruce's Bikes</value></property>
          	</bean>
          Try using this instead.

Code:
          		<property name="storeName"><value>Bruce&apos;s Bikes</value></property>
          	</bean>

Comment

storeName is a String

Comment

It doesn't make any difference. I have even tried it without the quote sign. I read somewhere that tomcat creates a bean object and doesn't initialize it. That might be causing the null value. I don't know what the work around is if this is the problem.

Comment

Can you upload a ZIP of your project and someone can perhaps try it out?

Comment

Originally posted by boblaw View Post
                  It doesn't make any difference. I have even tried it without the quote sign. I read somewhere that tomcat creates a bean object and doesn't initialize it. That might be causing the null value. I don't know what the work around is if this is the problem.
                  I never had such problems with tomcat. Did u try to do this ?
                  <property name="storeName" value="Bruce's Bikes" />

Comment

Working...
                  X