Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer-friendly using tiles

Hi,

Using Tiles a template is made for displaying a general menubar, some user-credential data and a banner area. An 'empty' area is filled with the requested info each time a user initiates some action. When hitting the 'print' button I don't want to print all the 'general' stuff, but only the requested information and a small 'this info is comming from...' banner above and beneath.

What's the best way of taggling this issue ?

From the controller it's possible to examine some request parameter (e.g. ?print) and return a ModelView which uses a 'print' template or the 'normal' template when the parameter is not present. This would result in each page examining the request and determing the correct view.. while I was hoping for a more general solution; not having to alter flow logic and have the print-layout switch in e.g. Tiles.

The (arguably) best way to do that is via CSS. You can define a stylesheet for the "print" media (have a look at http://htmlhelp.org/reference/css/style-html.html) and in that stylesheet use "display: none" to hide what you dont want on the print media. You can of course do some more fancy stuff than just hiding the menu ...

Comment

Hi Gehel,

Thanks for your answer. The described solution does implement the wished functionality.

When someone has a 'tiles' solution, directing to another template feel free to post. The css solution doesn't (easy) supply in disabling links (can use the display:none on every link/button but it's not wished.), buttons etc. Something which is usefull, since the 'printer-friendly' page is in a popup and we don't want the user to navigate the app using the popup.

Comment

Honestly, I don't have any idea about this method and I am glad that you shared about this.I know about CSS and I guess it is an advantage if someone has an idea for this but since I don't know how to run this then this is a big help for everyone in here.

Comment

How about creating a PDF view?

Comment

Working...
          X