Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• form:input not showing correctly UTF-8 chars

Hi everybody there,
    i'm dealing with a web application that uses spring MVC tags and simpleFormControllers to save some form data from a jsp page.

I try to describe the problem i get when a user sets an input with a non-standard character (like ĕ, corresponding to UTF-8 & #277; ).

After posting the form, the character is correctly saved to postgres database in UTF-8 format (i'm using iBatis DAOs).
    If i enter into the form again, the form:input fields are filled with values contained with database: i see into the input the UTF-8 format instead of the "real" character.
    The strange thing is that if i try to output the field value without using form:input tags, (using into the jsp the EL language, e.g. ${command.fieldName}), i see the character ĕ displayed correctly.

The <%@page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" pageEncoding="UTF-8"%> has already been added to the top of the page and i tried to add into my web.xml the following xml:
    <filter>
    <filter-name>charEncFilter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEnco dingFilter</filter-class> <init-param>
    <param-name>encoding</param-name>
    <param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
    </init-param>
    </filter>
    <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>charEncFilter</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

But unfortunately it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

thanks a lot
    M

Originally posted by kantorn
    Could it have some connection to the database's character encoding settings?
    Now i added to "form:form" tag this:
    enctype="UTF-8" acceptCharset="UTF-8"

While before that (i think it was wrong) it saved the utf-8 representation into the database table, now, looking with pgAdmin, i see the correct character "ĕ" saved in. But if i reload the form, it shows a "?" instead of that char.
    It seems like the web page is not able to show me the UTF-8 char.

Any suggestions?

Comment

solved!

Originally posted by musmarc View Post
      Now i added to "form:form" tag this:
      enctype="UTF-8" acceptCharset="UTF-8"
      All solved!
      The page wasn't correctly setting the encode type due to a wrong position of the <%@page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>.

There is no need at all to add those properties to the form:form tag... it works however.

cheers
      M

Comment

Thanks Every one, great post, resolved my issue too.

Comment

Freemarker utf problem

Hi,

Could you please clarify what exactly you meant by the position was wrong in

"The page wasn't correctly setting the encode type due to a wrong position of the <%@page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>."

I have the same problem. I have added meta tag like this "<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"/>" in my ftl page but it still doesn't work.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          X