X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 2.5rc1 errors tag

After rolling to Spring 2.5rc1, the form:errors tag is throwing an exception when I try to display the global error message. Here is how I have used this tag successfully in the past to display the form's global error message.

<form:errors cssClass="error" />

Now when I use this, I get the following exception.

ERROR [web.servlet.tags.form.ErrorsTag] Invalid property '' of bean class [org.myproject.bean.SomeFormBean]:
    Bean property '' is not readable or has an invalid getter method:
    Does the return type of the getter match the parameter type of the setter?
    org.springframework.beans.NotReadablePropertyExcep tion:
    Invalid property '' of bean class [org.myproject.bean.SomeFormBean]:
    Bean property '' is not readable or has an invalid getter method:
    Does the return type of the getter match the parameter type of the setter?
    at org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.getPrope rtyValue(BeanWrapperImpl.java:544)
    at org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.getPrope rtyValue(BeanWrapperImpl.java:536)
    at org.springframework.validation.AbstractPropertyBin dingResult.getActualFieldValue(AbstractPropertyBin dingResult.java:78)
    at org.springframework.validation.AbstractBindingResu lt.getFieldValue(AbstractBindingResult.java:337)
    at org.springframework.web.servlet.support.BindStatus .<init>(BindStatus.java:118)
    at org.springframework.web.servlet.tags.form.Abstract DataBoundFormElementTag.getBindStatus(AbstractData BoundFormElementTag.java:171)
    at org.springframework.web.servlet.tags.form.ErrorsTa g.shouldRender(ErrorsTag.java:131)

The only way I can get it to not throw an exception is by displaying all error messages including the field level messages this way.

<form:errors path="*" cssClass="error" htmlEscape="false" />

This ends up showing field level messages as well which is not desired. Is there a new path I should use for the global error message display?

Global Error or Is it ?

When u say global error, how did u manage it ?

The Errors interface comes with methods reject() & rejectValue(). What did u use ?

I use reject() for such errors and it works like charm with <form:errors cssClass="error" />

Regards,
    Smruti..

Comment

Global Error Setting

This would be a message that I would display at the top of the form using the following syntax.

Code:
      errors.reject(null, "Please correct the form values.");
      This results in a global error message that is not tied to a specific field being added to the errors. With previous versions of Spring, I was able to display this global message at the top if my form by not including a path on the form:errors tag, and then field specific error messages on each field by adding the path on the form:errors tags on each field. On 2.5rc1, if I do not include the path on the errors tag, an exception is thrown. This did work in version 2.0.6.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzbient View Post
        This would be a message that I would display at the top of the form using the following syntax.

Code:
        errors.reject(null, "Please correct the form values.");
        This results in a global error message that is not tied to a specific field being added to the errors. With previous versions of Spring, I was able to display this global message at the top if my form by not including a path on the form:errors tag, and then field specific error messages on each field by adding the path on the form:errors tags on each field. On 2.5rc1, if I do not include the path on the errors tag, an exception is thrown. This did work in version 2.0.6.
        Try this instead - errors.reject("Please correct the form values.");

Lemme know what happens.

Regards,
        Smruti..

Comment

Originally posted by smrutimo View Post
          Try this instead - errors.reject("Please correct the form values.");

Lemme know what happens.

Regards,
          Smruti..

Just noticed the Spring version u mentioned... Hmm.. Yeah I also use 2.0.6.. My bad !! Guess I need a break from this desk.. Lemme know if this one works though...

Thanks & Regards,
          Smruti..

Comment

That would work in 2.0.6 but this is strictly an issue with the form:errors tag in 2.5rc1. Is it a bug or an "enhancement?"

Comment

It looks like a potential bug. The JavaDoc for the <form:errors> tag states that it should be possible to display object-level errors only by omitting the "path" attribute:

http://static.springframework.org/sp...ErrorsTag.html

I've opened a JIRA issue for further investigation:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...rowse/SPR-4005

Comment

Thank you for logging the issue in Jira. I'll monitor it and test the update if it becomes available.

Comment

Try this...
                  <form:errors>
                  <form:errors cssClass="errorText"/>
                  </form:errors>

it should work fine

Comment

Working...
                  X