Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Why isn't there enough documentation on MVC, Spring Bind, Validation? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't there enough documentation on MVC, Spring Bind, Validation?

It really seems I go on google looking for things and don't get any answers.
    Last edited by blueskies; Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM.

Why isn't there enough documentation on MVC, Spring Bind, Validation?
    ok if you are right
    what they are missing, what else do you need?

i know that the documentation reference can be hard the first time, but
    have you seen the code examples?

they are perhaps the best complement

the last solution are the books(i prefer this ), and like always i says, the best IMHO is Pro Spring

feel free to share your suggestions to us

best wishes
    Last edited by dr_pompeii; Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueskies View Post
      It really seems I go on google looking for things and don't get any answers.
      It has but it's really scattered.

Joerg

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
        ok if you are right
        what they are missing, what else do you need?

i know that the documentation reference can be hard the first time, but
        have you seen the code examples?

they are perhaps the best complement

the last solution are the books(i prefer this ), and like always i says, the best IMHO is Pro Spring

feel free to share your suggestions to us

best wishes
        I have ProSpring and what I need it's not answering.

Comment

I do think there is not enough documentation or example on MVC.
          So I am going to read the source.

Comment

Originally posted by John60 View Post
            I do think there is not enough documentation or example on MVC.
            So I am going to read the source.
            That's what I usually do

Comment

Originally posted by pmularien View Post
              That's what I usually do

Where do you read the source?

Comment

The Spring binary distributions contain the source files.

Joerg

Comment

Hello

I have ProSpring and what I need it's not answering.
                  what do you need and cant be found it?

another book with a better coverage about sring mvc is
                  "Expert Spring MVC and Web Flow ...."

The Spring binary distributions contain the source files.
                  i am agree, and was written in the first reply of this thread

regards

Comment

poor

Spring in general, spring MVC especially has very poor documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmetaa View Post
                      Spring in general, spring MVC especially has very poor documentation.
                      I actually disagree. I think the Spring MVC docs in 2.x are among the most clearly written documentation of any Java web framework.

What I will agree with you on is that there are little to no tutorials covering how to get started, and how everything fits together.

The Spring team has always been pretty receptive when I've had comments on missing pieces in the documentation. If you have something specific that you think isn't covered well, by all means submit a JIRA.

I will also say that the source code is extremely well commented, and as I posted earlier in this thread, it has been rare for me personally to find a problem that I couldn't solve through one of the available resources.

Comment

We also had problems to understand the "flow" of a SimpleFormcontroller.
                        We made a "mix" of books, spring documentation an googling.
                        But I have to admit that SimpleFormController is a very powerful and well engineered class.
                        IMHO the few drawbacks of Spring MVC are:
                        1) You cannot define external navigation like in JSF or Seam or other frameworks, because SimpleFormController has only a concept of successView and cancelView (but in our application, from a controller you can be redirect to more that 2 other controllers), so you can't reuse a controller in different "flows" of the application.
                        2) Lack of integration with ajax technology
                        3) Lack of integration with Adobe Flex (that, in my opinion, is a very interesting presentation layer for intranet application).

Davide.

Comment

IMHO the few drawbacks of Spring MVC are:
                          1) You cannot define external navigation like in JSF or Seam or other frameworks, because SimpleFormController has only a concept of successView and cancelView (but in our application, from a controller you can be redirect to more that 2 other controllers), so you can't reuse a controller in different "flows" of the application.
                          maybe you should see more about SWF

2) Lack of integration with ajax technology
                          why do you say that? , i work with DWR and happy with that

3) Lack of integration with Adobe Flex (that, in my opinion, is a very interesting presentation layer for intranet application).
                          no opinion for this - i never worked before with that

i am agree that without books, learn spring is a pain

regards

Comment

I do actually agree with #2 - although there is plenty of support within the Spring community for use of DWR with Spring, I assume that what is being requested is tighter integration between Spring and some of the rich control libraries out there (Prototype, YUI, Moo, etc).

Although there's some ad-hoc support for Prototype in the XT Ajax portion of the spring-modules project, it would be nice to see someone from the Spring development team (or someone from the community) pick this up and run with it.

I also agree that it would be nice to have the official documentation updated to include better detail of how SimpleFormController works, and what methods you would generally override for common types of controllers.
                            @Davide - have you looked at the "pet clinic" sample application? Did you find that useful?

Comment

maybe you should see more about SWF
                              I looked at SWF but I don't like it, because I'm used to have the logic of the controller in one single class.
                              I repeat that SimpleFormCcontroller is perfect for my needs, but it's awful to see, inside my controllers, explicit redirect to a page based on the button the user has pressed; for me is more eleganto to return a String and then the XML configuration file will "decide" the page to redirect based on that string (so I can reuse my controller in different "flows", because navigation is defined externally).

why do you say that? , i work with DWR and happy with that
                              Yes I know that it's possible to use DWR or dojo, but it doesn't seems to me that Spring is supporting them officially (I searched the term "ajax" in Spring documentation - I found zero matches) and I have some doubt about correct use of ajax in Spring MVC (i.e. the "ajax called methods" should be placed in the controller or directly in the service?)

i am agree that without books, learn spring is a pain
                              It's not a complete pain, because I think that entire philosophy of Spring is clear and simple, but I think that documentation about Spring MVC should be improved.

D.

Comment

Working...
                              X