Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form as View - Forwarding to another Controller

Hello -

I am fairly new to the Spring framework and have been working w/ it for the past couple of months. I selected it as the web framework for an off-hours project I am doing since it touts "simplicity" and that is kind of what I was looking for. I didn't really want the bloat of Struts for this particular project and had heard good things about Spring.

Anyway, there is one simple thing that I am trying to do though that I just can't seem to find an example of anywhere.

Basically, I have a search form where I would like the search form to remain in the same view (a JSP) as the results. Well, everything works fine and dandy until after the user submits their query and I try and hyrdrate the same JSP (as the form is in) w/ my results.

The error I am getting seems to be related to the fact that the JSP no longer has access to the command object (i.e. formBackingObject) since i didn't route through the controller. I am also using the "bind" tag in my JSP.

I also tried using a redirectView to go back to the controller and this doesn't work because then I lose my request scoped data that I put into the ModelAndView w/ the search results (the form backed object is created though).

This seems simple (I know in Struts you can chain actions together to accomplish this) but I must be missing something.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Greg

what do you mean by this "...since i didn't route through the controller..."

Maybe post some code?

You're right in not using redirect view since that will reset your form state.

Comment

This seems simple (I know in Struts you can chain actions together to accomplish this) but I must be missing something.
      You can forward to another controller using the forward: prefix. This requires Spring 1.1.3.
      HTH

Comment

What about using the interface Controller instead of the class SimpleFormController?
        I did this way:
        Code:
        public class UnidadeController implements Controller {
            private final Log log = LogFactory.getLog(UnidadeController.class);
            private UnidadeManager mgr = null;

public void setUnidadeManager(UnidadeManager unidadeManager) {
                this.mgr = unidadeManager;
            }

public ModelAndView handleRequest(HttpServletRequest request,
                                              HttpServletResponse response)
            throws Exception {
                if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
                    log.debug("entering 'handleRequest' method...");
                }
                String cdClassificacaoInstitucional = null; 
                String cdEntidade = null;
                String dcEntidade = null;
                Map model = new HashMap();

cdClassificacaoInstitucional = request.getParameter("cdClassificacaoInstitucional");        
        		cdEntidade = request.getParameter("cdEntidade");
        		dcEntidade = request.getParameter("dcEntidade");
                //Primeira vez que este formulario for requisitado, a consulta será efetuada com valores default
                if (cdClassificacaoInstitucional == null){
                  [u]model.put("entidades"[/u], mgr.getEntidadesPorCdClassificacao(new Integer(2)));        
                   [u] model.put(Constants.UNIDADE_LIST[/u], mgr.getEntidadesPorCdClassificacao(new Integer(2)));        
                }else	if (cdEntidade == null){
                        model.put("entidades", mgr.getEntidadesPorCdClassificacao(Integer.valueOf(cdClassificacaoInstitucional)));        
                        model.put(Constants.UNIDADE_LIST, mgr.getEntidadesPorCdClassificacao(Integer.valueOf(cdClassificacaoInstitucional)));        
                	}else	if(cdEntidade == null || dcEntidade.length() == 0) {        
                            model.put("entidades", mgr.getEntidadesPorCdEntidadeMembroDE(Integer.valueOf(cdEntidade)));        
                            model.put(Constants.UNIDADE_LIST, mgr.getEntidadesPorCdEntidadeMembroDE(Integer.valueOf(cdEntidade)));        
                		}else  if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
                                log.debug("Requisicoes subsequentes, neste caso o usuario OPTOU PELA CONSULTA PERSONALIZADA"+dcEntidade);
                            }
                			model.put("entidades", mgr.getEntidadesPorDcEntidade(Integer.valueOf(cdEntidade),dcEntidade));        
                            model.put(Constants.UNIDADE_LIST, mgr.getEntidadesPorDcEntidade(Integer.valueOf(cdEntidade),dcEntidade));        
                		}

}
                }

return new ModelAndView("unidadeList",model );
            }
        }
        I hope this help!
        Gilbeto

Comment

Originally posted by irbouho
          You can forward to another controller using the forward: prefix. This requires Spring 1.1.3.
          HTH
          Please I don't understand, can you make a sample? forward:virtual address of controller ?
          One another question: I can use forward: also with SimpleMappingExceptionResolver ?

Comment

If you want to return your command object to your form using a SimpleFormController, set sessionForm(true) for your controller then return showForm(request, errors, view) from your onSubmit method rather than returning a new ModelAndView. This will put the command object back into the session and make it available to the spring:bind tags.

Comment

Working...
            X