Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Session Management in Spring?

Hello everyone,

In our new project, we are planning to use Spring/Hibernate for server-side development and Mac OS X properitory Cocoa Client for GUI development. We would like to have our client send the XML request using HTTP (actually HTTPS) to our server. I understand that if we choose to use server at the server side, we have two options for session management 1. cookies based, 2. URL rewriting.

As our client is properitory and is not a WEB based application, we would like to know how can we manage HTTP sessions in this case? As it's not a WEB based application, i think we can't use cookies based session management. As i mentioned, we need HTTPS or secured connection from the client.

It would be great if someone can provide thoughts/suggestions/ideas regarding this.

Thanks in advance!

At the client side you need a HTTP client that can handle cookie-based sessions. You should check out Jakarta HttpClient which provides support for session cookies.

Alternatively, you might want to look at using the HttpInvoker support in Spring which provides a full HTTP based remoting layer without the need for heavy XML. Otherwise you can use either Hessian or Burlap, both supported by Spring, for HTTP-based comms with both binary and XML protocols.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rod.

We'll be using Objective C language at the Cocoa based client. The client should be able to make secured HTTP connection and talk to Business Facade to communicate with the Spring/Hibernate based implementation of our server.

Having said that our client is not Java based, do you see any limitations in using Hessian/Burlap? Keep in mind that our POJOs/Tables will have serveral many-to-many associations with lazy loading enabled and the client needs to access.

Please let me know which you think might suit our needs.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

There are a couple of implementations of Hessian, one being C++ and another Python, but I know that many people have experienced problems when sending complex Hibernate-loaded object graphs so be careful if you are using that.

If you are going to be sending complex graphs then you should really consider the cost of using XML as your transport format. I'm not overly familiar with Cocoa - do they have CORBA access? If so that might be a solution.

Rob

Comment

Working...
        X