X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freemarker is impressive!

I switched my views from jsp to ftl in a sample spring app last week. I have been very happy with freemarker. I only have one problem. In the JSP version, I have a custom tag renders a menu item for users belonging to specific roles. I could create a macro to do the same thing but I am not sure how to do that in freemarker since the request object is exposed in ftl. Is there a way to call isUserInRole(...) in freemarker? Perhaps, such functionality should be added to spring's RequestContext object which is exposed to ftl. If I can do that, I may permanently switch to ftl especially since my container (weblogic 8.1) does not support JSP 2.0 which, although not as powerful as freemarker, would simplify my life.

To facilitate view substitutability, I have implemented the following solution.

1. In my sample-servlet.xml, I define a set of application roles which are the same roles that are defined in web.xml.

<bean id="applicationRoles" class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.Se tFactoryBean">
    <property name="sourceSet">
    <set>
    <value>freemarkerUser</value>
    <value>velocityUser</value>
    <value>jspUser</value>
    </set>
    </property>
    </bean>

2. After a successful authentication, I iterate over the set of roles to check for the user's membership. If the user is a member, then I add the application role to the User object's roles property. At the end of the iteration, I have all the roles to which the user belongs. Next, The User object is stored in a UserSession object inside the HttpSession object and all controllers can retrieve that User object and make it or some of its properties available to the view.

3. Now a JSP or a freemarker page can determine if menu item with a specified set of roles should be rendered since the user's valid roles are accessible on the page.

Comment

Working...
    X