Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Override for WebApplicationContext.CONFIG_LOCATION_PARAM

Hi,

I would like to have a system property (or some other external means) to override the WebApplicationContext.CONFIG_LOCATION_PARAM
    so I can have multiple Spring configurations for one Web Application.

The reason I would like this is that I want to integration test my web application without a database using stubs for my DAO's. I would have two context parameters:
    contextConfigLocation=
    /WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml classpath:dao.xml
    testContextConfigLocation=
    /WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml classpath:stubdao.xml

I feel this may be generally useful and would like to see it included in Spring. Does anyone else agree or is there already a way of achieving what I need?

Regards,
    Gordon.

I can not find CONTEXT_CLASS_PARAM in WebApplicationContext. Are you talking about
    Code:
    ContextLoader.CONTEXT_CLASS_PARAM
    in this case, you can easily overide the default value in your web.xml
    Code:
      <context-param>
        <param-name>contextConfigLocation</param-name>
        <param-value>
          /WEB-INF/dataAccessContext-local.xml  /WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml
        </param-value>
      </context-param>

Comment

my humblest apologies - I meant
      Code:
      org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader
      The whole point is NOT to override the contextConfigLocation parameter in web.xml as I don't want to have to keep changing it depending on what mode I am working in - instead I will have two server instances running exactly the same application with different Spring configurations.

Comment

Well, the contextConfigLocation _is_ an override.

I don't see this as fundamentally different than any number of other things that can come from a file, and it's not an option to make all of them settable as system properties too. Additionally, the system property approach has a big problem too since then you can't have multiple web-apps running in that one appserver, and have different settings for each.

What I would recommend instead, is to just use a shell script of some sort that allows you to toggle it one way vs. another, via a regexp search/replace. The default build would be for production, and for testing you would reconfigure it.

Regards,

Comment

In fact, elegant switching between real and mock implementations can be achieved rather easily using Ant's <filter> and <switch> tasks: Add a property deployment.mode to your build script and use different filters for replacing the context parameter @contextConfigLocation@ with the appropriate path in your web.xml, based on whether the value of ${deployment.mode} is "mock" or "real". The build process is where to do this, not the application itself, so this is nothing the framwork should care about or provide means for.

Comment

Working...
          X