Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbiew question re form control

<caveat> Usual please bear with me stuff </caveat>
    I have a form (lets call it FormA, in formA.jsp) with a SimpleFormController . namely FormAController.

formA.jsp has a link to another form, formB. FormB (another SimpleFormController) allows me to select a parameter to pass back to formA. This works fine in as much that if I have in FormBController.onSubmit()
    {
    return new ModelAndView("formA", "myModel", model);
    }
    I am returned to formA with the correct value selected (ie the one I selected in formB) -but with formB.html in the browser url

However , when I submit formA the form is submitted to the formB controller.
    How do I pass control back from FormBController to FormAController ? If I use a RedirectView I lose the the parameter and I get the class info displayed in the browser url

My mappings are:-

<bean id="urlMapping" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.handler.Sim pleUrlHandlerMapping">
    <property name="mappings">
    <props>
    <prop key="/formA.html">formAController</prop>
    <prop key="/formB.html">formBController</prop>
    </props>
    </property>
    </bean>

<bean id="viewResolver" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.view.Intern alResourceViewResolver">
    <property name="viewClass"><value>org.springframework.web.se rvlet.view.JstlView</value></property>
    <property name="prefix"><value>/jsp/</value></property>
    <property name="suffix"><value>.jsp</value></property>
    </bean>
    </beans>

If I use a RedirectView I lose the the parameter and I get the class info displayed in the browser url
    I find this quite strange!!!
    If you are using Spring Framework 1.1.2, try:
    Code:
      <bean id="formControllerB" class="...FormControllerB">
        <property name="successView"><value>redirect&#58;formA.html</value></property>
      </bean>
    HTH

Comment

Thanks. What I was doing was :-
      formA ->formA
      in FormBController.onSubmit () I was creating a FormABean and setting the parameter chosen from formB. I was doing

String name = formB.getName();
      FormABean formABean = new FormABean();
      formABean.setName(name);

return new ModelAndView("formA", "formABean",formABean);

This worked fine except, as I said when I submitted formA it went to FormBController. If I Redirected the view I lost the FormABean.

However if I just returned the parameter chosen in formB to formA using a RedirectView I am able to pull the parameter from the request in FormAController.formBackingObject
      eg

in FormB.onSubmit()

return new ModelAndView(new RedirectView("formA.html"), "name",formB.getName());

in FormAController..
      protected Object formBackingObject(HttpServletRequest request) throws ServletException {

String name = request.getParameter("name");
      FormABean formABean= new FormABean();
      if(name != null){
      formABean.setName(name);
      }
      return formABean;

}

I

Comment

If you have situations where more complex data (e.g. a Java object) needs to be exchanged between 2 controllers of your application, take a look at Spring Web Flows: http://www.ervacon.com/products/springwebflow/article.

Erwin

Comment

how about setting formA to use a session form? so the object is stored in the session and can be retrieved after form B.

Comment

Thanks for the links and tips. Very useful, I'll off to inwardly digest

Comment

Working...
            X