Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure though about SWF - how much will an XML based flow language scale
    I don't think XML has as much to do with scaling as much as modularity and encapsulation does. Spring Web Flow gives you a powerful ability to encapsulate UI control flow in an externalized module, then compose flows together to create rich user dialogs. It's specifically designed to scale, and solving the UI flow manageability problem was (and continues to be) one of the primary motivations for the project.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Donald; Jan 21st, 2007, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Donald View Post
      I don't think XML has as much to do with scaling as much as modularity and encapsulation does. Spring Web Flow gives you a powerful ability to encapsulate UI control flow in an externalized module, then compose flows together to create rich user dialogs. It's specifically designed to scale, and solving the UI flow manageability problem was (and continues to be) one of the primary motivations for the project.
      Keith - By scaling, I meant scalability from usage point of view. Particularly with DSLs all over these days, declarative programming has certainly got a facelift. Functionally SWF is great and solves some very pertinent problems in Web programming. I was thinking if u guys have any plans to make the interface more user friendly than XML.

Anyone for JRuby ?

Cheers.
      - Debasish

Comment

Seam has some good stuff in it, the struts2 guys are definitely keeping an eye on it. Also struts2 has a JSF plugin which gives limited JSF functionality in struts2: http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/jsf-plugin.html

Although I can't figure out how you would define the state machine logic other than xml or programmatically, I do think there are opportunities for improved integration. As an example of this, I create a AnnotationFlowScopeInterceptor that allows flow scoped variable to be bijected (a seam term) via annotations. This greatly simplifies the process of specifying the items that should be stored in flow scope.
        http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/sp...ow-plugin.html

The nice thing about SWF is that if someone does come up with a better way of specifying flow logic, there are hooks into the framework to allow it to integrate with the existing code. (All you really need to do is to create an adapter)

Comment

Struts Still Rocks in MVC

I have used both Spring and Struts 2 MVC in web applications. Personally I prefer struts 2 over Spring because it became so easy to adopt and do stuff really quickly with a more enriched tag library where Spring MVC has way to catch up. I don't know why people don't use Struts 2 that much. Anyway all good stuff in spring and Struts 2 for MVC will be a good path to go.

Comment

Separate from 'which is better', does anybody know of statistics comparing how many developers use Spring MVC vs Struts 2?

Comment

Originally posted by sankatha View Post
              I have used both Spring and Struts 2 MVC in web applications. Personally I prefer struts 2 over Spring because it became so easy to adopt and do stuff really quickly with a more enriched tag library where Spring MVC has way to catch up. I don't know why people don't use Struts 2 that much. Anyway all good stuff in spring and Struts 2 for MVC will be a good path to go.
              Hi sankatha, just wondering, what if i combine Spring MVC with GWT instead of DWR, GWT comes with lots of nice UI, will it be better than Struts 2? I havent really used Struts 2...

THanks

Comment

Just to confirm on the MultiActionFormController topic, all Spring controllers unless specified otherwise ie; extending SimpleFormController are inherently MultiActionFormController's by design.

RGS SY

Comment

Working...
                X