X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New webapp, JSF or Spring MVC?

I am going to make a small webapp and I was wondering if JSF and Spring 2.0 is a better choice than using Spring 2.0 and Spring MVC?

Regards,

BTJ

Depends on how you plan to write your pages

That really depends on how you're going to write your HTML views. If you plan on writing the HTML the "old-fashioned" way, then Spring WebMVC is the choice. If you choose JSF, you abandon classic HTML development and enter into the component-based development model.

I am, right now, investigating that move myself. I think its worth it in the long run, but I've also found that JSF takes quite a bit of getting acquainted with. I'm not sure how familiar you are with JSF... if you're just starting out, you might find Rick Hightower's "JSF for nonbelievers" article on dW a good introduction [part 1] [part 2] [part 3] [part 4], I found it quite helpful. You'll also want to investigate facelets instead of JSP as underlying templating mechanism.

If you're unfamiliar with JSF and need results quickly, then you should definately stick to Spring WebMVC with your view type of choice, whether that's JSP or something else. If you want to check out the whole component-based development thing, there's JSF, Tapestry and Wicket to choose from (probably others as well, but these seem the most dominant). JSF is backed by Sun, Oracle, IBM and others, while tapestry is more of a "by programmers, for programmers" proposition. There's an article comparing the two on TheServerSide somewhere.

Comment

I have used JSF before so I am quite familiar with using JSF.. So the conclusion would be that sticking to JSF would be the best choice...

BTJ

Comment

Working...
      X