Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ContextLoaderListener and applicationContext

Hi there - newbie to Spring here.

SHORT FORM:

How do I get the applicationContext when using ContextLoaderListener?

LONGER FORM:

I'm working on a project, Hibernate+Servlets+JSP, and discovered Spring little by little while working on the project. I at first had everything working using a static DAO Utility class that went something like this:

public class DAOUtil {
    private static appcontext = new FileSystemXmlApplicationContext(...);

public static userDAO getUserDAO() {
    return (UserDAO) DAOUtil.appcontext.getBean("UserDAO");
    }
    }

However, I started running into the dreaded "lazy initialization exceptions," and started reading posts about how my life would be all happy and beautiful if I just started using the OpenSessionInView pattern.

So now, I've configured my web.xml file to load the ContextLoaderListener as a listener, and set the OpenSessionInViewFilter class as a filter. No problem there, the server starts up happy & everything.

Now, as I understand it, the ContextLoaderListener takes care of initializing Spring, wiring my beans, etc.

My question is: In my DAOUtil class, how do I now get a reference to the ApplicationContext that was set up when Tomcat booted?

Most of the time you don't need access to the ApplicationContext. Instead you let Spring wire everything together for you.
    Maybe you want to have a look at one of the sample applications that spring delivers.

Do you have existing servlets or are you using the Spring MVC dispatcher servlet?

Comment

Continuing

Okay, So I think I understand and agree with what you're saying about letting Spring wire it all together. My question is, more specifically, how do I get the beans it have been wired together?

Say in my applicationContext.xml, I have:

<bean id="UserDAO" class="some.Class">
      <property name="SessionFactory"><ref bean="anotherbean" /> </property>
      </bean>

If I'm using the ContextLoaderListener to initialize Spring (instead of using ClassPathXMLApplicationContext, which returns an object...)

.. upon what object do I call .getBean("UserDao") to get the UserDAO Bean?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren H
        Okay, So I think I understand and agree with what you're saying about letting Spring wire it all together. My question is, more specifically, how do I get the beans it have been wired together?
        You could use the WebApplicationContextUtils to access the web application context:

http://www.springframework.org/docs/...textUtils.html

Comment

Almost!

WebApplicationContextUtils is almost perfect, other than the fact you have to pass in a ServletContext, which isn't available at code levels that don't know/care if they're in a Servlet.

I guess I have some refactoring ahead of me to pass down either the ServletContext or ApplicationContext... But at least now I know how to go forward.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren H
            WebApplicationContextUtils is almost perfect, other than the fact you have to pass in a ServletContext, which isn't available at code levels that don't know/care if they're in a Servlet.

I guess I have some refactoring ahead of me to pass down either the ServletContext or ApplicationContext... But at least now I know how to go forward.

Thanks for the help!
            If you are going to refactor then I would suggest you to try to adapt to a less intrusive solution. Spring is all about Inversion of control: Instead of your code trying to lookup other beans you ask Spring to inject those beans for you.

Are you building a Web application? What kind of Web framework are you using. Spring offers is as well integration into Struts applications...

It might be worth to look into such solutions...

Comment

Working...
            X