X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what templating language w/ Spring MVC

I'm looking at velocity and didn't know it's maintenance was discontinued and am now wondering what the templating language flavor of the day is or that most people would recommend and is well supported. *.jsp's too heavy for me and am looking for something quick like velocity.

Should I still stick with velocity or what would be suggested now.

Freemarker could be a good option: http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/fmVsVel.html

Last release 2.3.7rc1 April 27, 2006

Comment

Freemarker is indeed an excellent toolkit and very quick too It has all the usual constructs (loops, logical branching etc.) and lots of excellent builtin methods you can use on your objects.

Be warned though; it doesn't handle nulls! As in, if your method returns a null it won't be rendered, it will throw an Exception This is a *huge* PITA and I really wish the behaviour was swtichable. The author did an FAQ entry about why he did it, and it makes sense, but is very *very* painful. The simple workaround is to use a builtin on Strings:
      Code:
      yourString?default("this is null")
      Try it, it is very nice (apart from that ) and easy enough to configure in Spring.

Comment

Working...
      X