Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid MultipartException with CommonsMultipartResolver?

Hello,

I've configured the org.springframework.web.multipart.commons.CommonsM ultipartResolver to resolve all my multipart/form-data requests of my webapp.

From time to time, I get a

org.springframework.web.multipart.MultipartExcepti on: Could not parse multipart request

exeption in my logfile, which is rooted by a

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$Unkno wnSizeException: the request was rejected because it's size is unknown

exception. These exception seem to be caused by out-dated clients (namely Internet Explorer 5.0 or older) that do not seem to support the content-length header properly.

Unfortunately, I do not need the file upload facility at all right now, I only use multipart for transmitting full unicode form parameters.

So my question is, can I avoid these exceptions somehow, even for the older clients? The resolver need not check the content-length header.

I'm using Spring 1.1, Commons FileUpload 1.0, JDK 1.4.2_05 and Tomcat 5.0.27.

Regards,

Andreas

Code:
    260  if (requestSize == -1)
    261  {
    262    throw new UnknownSizeException(
    263      "the request was rejected because it's size is unknown");
    264  }
    From org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase

There's no conditional checking for the request size, so I guess it'll be difficult to solve this one. Maybe you can ask at the commons fileupload list to see if they've encountered this problem more often.

cheers,

Alef

Comment

For the time being, you could switch to CosMultipartResolver as alternative. Drop cos.jar into your WEB-INF/lib directory, and don't forget to buy a copy of the latest version of Jason Hunter's Servlet book ;-) (which is required by COS' license)

Juergen

Comment

Thanks for your answers. I have posted a question on the jakarta commons mailing list.

Comment

Solution

I've also ran into this problem.
          In response to Andreas' post there was a reply on the commons upload list
          saying that the bug was fixed and (at that time) was in the nightly builds.

This is the original reply:

http://www.newsarch.com/archive/mail.../msg03173.html

Comment

Working...
          X