Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
406 NOT_ACCEPTABLE from Controller when trying to return POGO as JSON Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 406 NOT_ACCEPTABLE from Controller when trying to return POGO as JSON

Hi folks,

I have an annotated Controller in a Groovy Spring MVC app which uses annotated Configuration. I'm trying to get my controller to automatically marshall a POGO to JSON using Jackson but when I invoke the Controller's methods I get a 406 NOT_ACCEPTABLE response back from Spring.

From what I understand this is typically because Spring's HttpMessageConverters are not configured correctly, this seems to be a common config problem and I have followed all the advice from other posts to no avail. So hoping someone can help me figure this out.

Spring Config class:

Code:
    @Configuration
    @EnableWebMvc
    @ComponentScan("com.eddgrant.security")
    class TSPMServiceAppConfig {
    }
    Controller class:

Code:
    package com.eddgrant.security.tspm

//imports removed for brevity

@Controller
    @RequestMapping(value="TSPMAuthenticationController")
    public class TSPMAuthenticationController implements ITSPMAuthenticationController {

@Override
      @RequestMapping(value = "/sayHi", method = RequestMethod.GET, produces=["application/json"])
      @ResponseBody
      public UserPermissionCheckResponse sayHi() {
        println "TSPMAuthenticationController: sayHi()"
        UserPermissionCheckResponse response = new UserPermissionCheckResponse(message: "Hi")
        return response
      }
    }
    Response POGO:

Code:
    package com.eddgrant.security.tspm.response

class UserPermissionCheckResponse {
      boolean permitted
      String message
    }
    The app loads fine, I can see the controller registering the URL mappings and I can invoke the controller methods by hitting the associated URLS (tested through remote debugging).

I have tried making the following resquest:

Code:
    GET http://localhost:8088/em3/gateway/security/tspm/remoting/TSPMAuthenticationController/sayHi
    Request Headers: "Accept: application/json"
    When I make this request I get the following response headers

Code:
    Status Code: 406 Not Acceptable
    Cache-Control: must-revalidate,no-cache,no-store
    Content-Length: 1444
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    Server: Jetty(6.1.25)
    I attach a Gradle project which demonstrates the issue: Attachment

To run the app in Jetty:
    Code:
    ./gradlew jettyRun
    Then do the above GET request to replicate the issue

To run a full build which will fail during integration tests for the reason above:
    Code:
    ./gradlew clean build
    You will see from the build.gradle file and the resulting war that I have both Jackson and JAXB on the application classpath. Again from what I've read the fact that I'm using the @EnableWebMvc annotation should cause Spring to register the default HttpMessageConverters which I believe in this case should include MappingJacksonHttpMessageConverter as Jackson is present on the classpath?

I'm sure this is something trivial but I just can't see what's wrong. Would be most grateful for a second pair of eyes on this.

Many thanks,

Edd
    Attached Files

hmm... not a single reply. have I not done a great job of explaining the issue perhaps? Grateful for any suggestions and happy to clarify anything above which might help folk help me out with this issue. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
    X