Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overriding default Exception Handling in Portlet MVC

Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this is not the right area to post this. I did have a good look around for a a Portlet MVC area, but couldn't see anything.

OK, to my problem.

I have an annotation based Liferay Portlet application for uploading files. This all works fine, I have been looking at the validation of the uploaded file and need to restrict based on size. This can be done in Spring config with the following:

Code:
    <bean id="portletMultipartResolver"
    	        class="org.springframework.web.portlet.multipart.CommonsPortletMultipartResolver">

<!-- one of the properties available; the maximum file size in bytes -->
    	   	<property name="maxUploadSize" value="9437000"/>
    	    <property name="uploadTempDir" value="/branches/"/>
    	</bean>
    This is great, however, when posting to the Controller with a file larger than 10MB, the portlet returns a HTTP Response code 400. I'm assuming that Spring is throwing the exception, and just deciding to post that back. This is not what I want to do. I want to decide on how I return the error, as I would like to populate a JSON object.

I have found a few threads online.
    The first option I have found that is supposed to fix the problem is to include this annotation in my controller:

Code:
    @ExceptionHandler
    public ModelAndView onException(Exception e) {
    	ModelAndView mav = new ModelAndView(AJAX_IMAGE_UPLOAD_RESULT);
    	mav.addObject("fileUploadError", e.getMessage());

return mav;
    }
    This would allow me to redirect to a jsp page and produce the JSON I want, would be perfect, and the suggestion is that you can do this for any exception, which would be even better.

Sadly, this doesn't seem to work!

The second option I found that does work, but seems wrong, as I don't want to have to deal with all exceptions manually is to implement an HandlerExceptionResolver interface and implement it's methods! I can do it this way, but will loose default exception handling, and to be honest I don't really want to do that!

Can any of you Spring experts out there let me know reasons why the first solution may not be working?

As it's annotation based I have assumed that there is no application.xml config to add! But I maybe wrong.

Thanks in advance

The first doesn't work because your controller is never reached and @ExceptionHandler methods only work for the controllers they are defined in.

So the only working solution is to implement a HandlerExceptionResolver to handle your exceptions (which is only a single method and not methods!). You can define multiple HandlerExceptionResolvers in your configuration and when defining a HandlerExceptionResolver it disables the defaults so you will have to add the default ones and your custom one to enable all of them.

Comment

Hi Marten,

Thanks for your reply. It seems strange that you can add this exception handling, but then can't use it as it's being handled before dispatcher even gets to your portlet.

I did try implementing the HandlerExceptionresolver with success, but was concerned that I would loose all the built in exception handling that spring offers out of the box, I did also find references to adding the exceptionHandler in config, but like you mentioned, it wipes out the default and and requires manual entry.

In the end I decided to implement the size validation myself, it's only 3 lines of code, so not that greater deal, and works like a charm. you mentioned that I would only have to implement 1 method for the resolver, but for the portlet version of the resolver there is 2 mthods. one for action request, and one for resource request.

Thanks again for your reply

mARK

Comment

Working...
      X