Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Tiles issue: Failed to load ApplicationContext whilst running JUnit test Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiles issue: Failed to load ApplicationContext whilst running JUnit test

Hello,

I am trying to test controllers using JUnit.

Here is how I configure my context within the JUnit class:
    Code:
    @RunWith(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.class)
    @ContextConfiguration(locations = { "classpath:/META-INF/spring/applicationContext*.xml", "file:src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/spring/webmvc-config.xml" })
    Then I autowire my controller as usual in the test:
    Code:
    	@Autowired
    	private PliController pliController;
    and I get the following error when I run the tests:
    Code:
    2012-12-05 12:56:04,843 [main] ERROR org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManager.prepareTestInstance - Caught exception while allowing TestExecutionListener [org.springframework.test.context.support.DependencyInjectionTestExecutionListener@3c8db9] to prepare test instance [trc.suivi.core.security.AuthorizationTest@9652dd]
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to load ApplicationContext
    	at org.springframework.test.context.TestContext.getApplicationContext(TestContext.java:157)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.support.DependencyInjectionTestExecutionListener.injectDependencies(DependencyInjectionTestExecutionListener.java:109)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.support.DependencyInjectionTestExecutionListener.prepareTestInstance(DependencyInjectionTestExecutionListener.java:75)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManager.prepareTestInstance(TestContextManager.java:321)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.createTest(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:211)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner$1.runReflectiveCall(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:288)
    	at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.methodBlock(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:290)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:231)
    	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:47)
    	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:231)
    	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:60)
    	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:229)
    	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:50)
    	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:222)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.java:61)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.java:71)
    	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:300)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.run(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:174)
    	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:50)
    	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
    	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:467)
    	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
    	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
    	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'tilesConfigurer' defined in URL [file:src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/spring/webmvc-config.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1455)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:519)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:456)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:294)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:225)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:291)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:193)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:585)
    	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:913)
    	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:464)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.support.AbstractGenericContextLoader.loadContext(AbstractGenericContextLoader.java:103)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.support.AbstractGenericContextLoader.loadContext(AbstractGenericContextLoader.java:1)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.support.DelegatingSmartContextLoader.loadContext(DelegatingSmartContextLoader.java:228)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.TestContext.loadApplicationContext(TestContext.java:124)
    	at org.springframework.test.context.TestContext.getApplicationContext(TestContext.java:148)
    	... 24 more
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.view.tiles2.SpringTilesApplicationContextFactory$SpringWildcardServletTilesApplicationContext.<init>(SpringTilesApplicationContextFactory.java:72)
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.view.tiles2.SpringTilesApplicationContextFactory.createApplicationContext(SpringTilesApplicationContextFactory.java:55)
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.view.tiles2.TilesConfigurer.afterPropertiesSet(TilesConfigurer.java:335)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1514)
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1452)
    	... 38 more
    Can anyone help?

Regards,

Julien.

I found part of the solution to my problem: Spring/JUnit attempts to load servlet context parameters and because it has no knowledge of web.xml, it results in an NPE here (servletContext is null):

Code:
    Enumeration initParamNames = servletContext.getInitParameterNames();

Comment

You are loading beans/classes which require a servlet environment into a non-servlet environment... That isn't going to work.

If you want to do this I suggest you take a look at the spring-mvc-test package (on github) or in the new upcoming spring 3.2.

If you really want to go down this route, stop using the spring test context classes and manually construct an XmlWebApplication and use the spring test mocking classes to mock the web environment.

Comment

Thanks Marten. I figured out I had to use spring-mvc-test and I am going through it now!

Comment

Working...
        X