X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invoking a generic java method on an entity

Hi, I'm totally new to Spring, and, unfortunately, pretty new to web applications development as well.

I created a roo application from scratch. I created an entity named Customer. I ran “web mvc all” to obtain my shiny web app. Everything fine until now (persistence methods to add/retrieve entities working fine).
    Now let’s go to the question. I have a web service that I want to invoke from within my webapp. The web service receives an input of type Customer. What I would like to implement is a new menu entry under “Create new Customer” and “List all Customers” in my web app. That item should be able to direct me to a page where I can choose from a drop-down list a customer from the ones in the database. Clicking on a button, i'd like to invoke the web service passing the selected entity (or a java class whose members can be initialized from it) to the web service.

I managed to edit menu.jspx to add a menu entry.

I edited the CustomerController adding:
    Code:
        @RequestMapping(params = "rule", produces = "text/html")
        public String CustomerController.rule(Model uiModel) {
        	pupulateRuleForm(uiModel);
        	List<String[]> dependencies = new ArrayList<String[]>();
            if (Customer.countCustomers() == 0) {
                dependencies.add(new String[] { "customer", "customers" });
            }
            uiModel.addAttribute("dependencies", dependencies);
            return "customers/rule";
        }
    I created a Java class supermarket.web.SupermarketDecisionService that will implement the methods required to invoke the web service. It has an attribute of type Customer.

I created a page rule.jspx looking like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <div xmlns:field="urn:jsptagdir:/WEB-INF/tags/form/fields" xmlns:form="urn:jsptagdir:/WEB-INF/tags/form" xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page" version="2.0">
        <jsp:directive.page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8"/>
        <jsp:output omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
        <form:rule id="fr_supermarket_domain_customer_Customer" modelAttribute="customer" path="/customers" z="?">
            <field:select field="supermarketdecisionservice" id="c_supermarket_web_SupermarketDecisionService_customer" itemValue="id" items="${customers}" path="/customers" required="true" z="?"/>
        </form:rule>
    </div>
    I copy/pasted the form/create.tagx to a new form/rule.tagx.

As is, my edited application is able to load the page I created and display the drop-down list of customers. This is working only if I set disableFormBinding=”true” in the field:select tag, but the ideal behavior should be that the selected item binds to the customer attribute of SupermarketDecisionService.

I’m stuck with a “Neither BindingResult nor plain target object for bean name 'customer' available as request attribute” error whenever I visit that page without setting disableFormBinding=”true”.

I have also no idea about how to tell my web app that when i click that button, that particular method should be invoked.

Do I made any horrible design error? How should i proceed?

Davide

Create an instance directly by supplying the generic type information with the entity. For example the following code shows how to create a response containing the result of a method invoked via reflection:
    Method method = ...;
    GenericEntity<Object> entity = new GenericEntity<Object>(
    method.invoke(...), method.getGenericReturnType());
    Response response = Response.ok(entity).build();

Comment

Thank you for your reply Sentikakar. I'll give it a try.
      For now, i managed to obtain what i needed by adding to the controller another method that invokes the web service and resdirects to a page where web service execution results are displayed. Maybe this approach is more "MVC compliant" too, as the controller executes the invokation, and the web page only displays results.

Comment

Working...
      X