Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple converters for the same class

Hi,

I'm using a Converter from String to Product which I can use to automatically load products from database using a name and receive them in my controller methods:

Code:
    @RequestMapping("/product/{name}")
    public void viewProduct(@PathVariable("name") Product product) {
    }
    Now, I've got a form with a select drop-down and I need to bind products from that. But here I can't use the product name as before, and I must use the product identifier (an integer) for binding. And although this id is a number, the form will submit a string, so the converter needs to be, again, from String to Product. So I would end up with two Converter<String, Product>, which is a conflict.

Is there a solution for this? I know I could parse the string inside the converter to see if it's a name or a number, but I feel this is not a good approach.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you use Spring 3.1 the path variable can also contain a regular expression, that way you could create 2 mappings one with a String and one with a numeric type (Long probably) and based on that have 2 converters (Long, Product and String, Product).

Comment

Marten: thanks for your reply.

I'm using Spring 3.1, but I think it won't be possible for me to create a second @PathVariable mapping using a numeric type, because the product number I'm trying to bind is not part of the URL in the second case: it's a form property submitted using POST.

Comment

Which makes it even easier... Then you don't need to do nasty things with regular expressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Marten Deinum View Post
          Which makes it even easier... Then you don't need to do nasty things with regular expressions.
          Then I must really have missed the point I'll try to explain my question a little better:

Here's my form:

Code:
          class Checkout {

Product product;
          }
          and this my html:

Code:
          <form:select path="product">
            <form:option label="Product 123" value="123"/>
          </form:select>
          so... how can I tell Spring which one of my two (String, Product) converters it should use to bind "123" to a Product?

Comment

Working...
          X