Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Autowire RequestMappingHandlerMapping in Controller

Hi,

I am trying to autowire the RequestMappingHandlerMapping instance in my controller to build a feature similar to the EndpointDocumentationController example by Rossen at https://github.com/rstoyanchev/spring-mvc-31-demo.
    However we are using the mvc namespace for configuration and I get an exception saying "No matching bean was found for auto-wiring".

Code:
    @Controller
    public class EndpointController {
        private RequestMappingHandlerMapping handlerMapping;
        @Autowired
        public EndpointController(RequestMappingHandlerMapping handlerMapping) {
            this.handlerMapping = handlerMapping;
        }
    }
    Exception stack trace -
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.NoSuchBeanDefini tionException: No m
    atching bean of type [org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotat ion.Requ
    estMappingHandlerMapping] found for dependency: expected at least 1 bean which q
    ualifies as autowire candidate for this dependency. Dependency annotations: {}
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultL istableBeanFactory.
    raiseNoSuchBeanDefinitionException(DefaultListable BeanFactory.java:924)
    doResolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.jav a:793)
    resolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java: 707)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Construc torResolver.resolve
    AutowiredArgument(ConstructorResolver.java:795)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Construc torResolver.createA
    rgumentArray(ConstructorResolver.java:723)
    ... 23 more

I am able to reproduce this in the https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-mvc-showcase by adding the following configuration to the root-context.xml -

Code:
    <context:component-scan base-package="org.springframework.samples.mvc" />
    <context:annotation-config/>
    It works fine by not having the above configuration, which I need in my application to load other beans.
    What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Regards
    Kaizer

If you're doing a component scan in the root context is it possible that it detects your controllers as well? Since the root context is a parent of the DispatcherServlet application context, it doesn't see any web related beans like the ones declared with mvc:annotation-driven. Plus you probably end up with controller beans declared in the root context and the controller beans declared in the DispatcherServlet context.

The component-scan element supports all sorts of ways to exclude something from the scan. Try excluding by @Controller annotation.

Comment

Thanks Rossen! That worked!

So, does that mean that having a component-scan in both the context files would load all Service, Repository, etc beans twice?

Regards
      Kaizer

Comment

Yes, if you declare or detect the same beans in both places then they would be created in each application context. That's why component scanning provides lots of options for fine-grained control.

Comment

I also cannot autowire RequestMappingHandlerMapping within a controller (it's an Abstract controller, but I don't think it should matter).
          I am using Spring 3.1.0 with @EnableWebMvc. Is there something specific I need to do?

Thx,
          Norm

Comment

It seems that autowiring into a non-abstract class did the trick!
            Could someone explain why this matters? I always thought we could easily autowire into an abstract class.

Comment

Working...
            X