Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fragment caching in Spring MVC

Hi,

I've been working with Spring MVC (with Sitemesh) for a while now and I would like to start using a page fragment cache.

Most element of pages can be reused and only so much needs to be created on the fly.

The challenge I see here is that Spring is very top down page oriented. Everything flows from the controller and it doesn't make much sense caching a page fragment when all the database interaction, supported or not by a cache, happens anyway. And with tools such as Hibernate it can sometimes be quite hard to avoid a lot of unnecessary query overhead.

I am wondering what strategies could be employed and what experiences people have with this?

Some options I see:
    * Create "mini-controllers" that create parts of the page and have them called from Sitemesh decorators for elements such as head and footer. (I believe Grails does something like this)
    * Create mini-controllers that are called through Service Side Includes/Edge Side Includes from a front end webserver.

I have looked around a little but this topic seems to be very Grails heavy when you Google it.
    I would very much like to keep things on the "Spring-side" because this gives much more control.

I am curious what strategies people use and if there are any pointers people could give me to implementing something like this or better yet, finding something already implemented.

Kind regards,
    Marc
Working...
X