Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shept, datagrid, Tiles

Hi,
    am creating an application with Spring MVC 3.0.2, hibernate, Tiles using netbeans IDE.
    I want to use a data-grid for in cell editing in my application.
    am using Tiles.
    So, how this data-grid can be made in this spring MVC application.

I came to know about Shept and ExtJS are two options.
    which one is simple?
    Can I use shept when am using Tiles in my application?

Thanks in advance

well as the author of shept I'm not quite unbiased about this ;-)

While ExtJs is more an API to a datagrid form shept is meant to offer a more generic solution for building dynamic extendible pages with datagrids. Look at the online demos at http://shept.org/docs/Demos/ and decide if you like the behaviour and look and feel. If you already have an (annotation based) object relational mapping it should rather be a matter of hours than days to create a fully functional application. I wonder if you can say the same for ExtJs.

However be warned that while shept has been used in a couple of projects it may not be as mature in every detail. While you can use tiles you won't benefit from it as all the shept stuff should go into a single tile.
    If you want to give it a try please let me know if and where documentation is lacking. I'll do my best to ease your start.

kind regards

Andreas

Comment

Hi Andreas,
      Thanks for your reply.

I liked the way you started your talk.(am not quite unbiased)
      I have gone through the tutorial in shept.org, but, found to be bouncers for me (am new to the spring). I was confused how to use this when am using Tiles, and not able to move ahead when I saw the tagx files, segments etc.
      Anyway, as I have started developing my application and had already completed some view pages and used Tiles, I want to know will this shept suits to my application? if yes, I will go ahead with this shept if you can can help. Also, I have done the dto using hibernate annotation, and so you told that it will be more easy if this annotation based ORM is used.

Thanks

Comment

Hi amFroz,

haven't done it before but I wouldn't expect any serious problems mashing tiles with shept jsp/tagx. I would start from this tiles example and merge with the default shept form. Don't get confused by the different taglib notations you can use either this (snippet)
        Code:
        <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>
        or the other
        Code:
        <jsp:root
        xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"
        version="2.0"
        >

BTW - would you mind sharing an anonymized subset of your data model with the public ?
        I believe that its pretty straight forward to set up a full featured application and also a great excercise to learn spring basics with shept but maybe I just suffer from tunnel vision. Note that shept is no big-deal framework - it's overall size is at best 1-2% of springs overall size. If you like we'd set up a public repo covering a few entities and forms on github and jointly develop a frontend using shept in the next couple of days.

Andreas

Comment

Hi Andreas,
          I join with you. Am very much interested in getting things proper. But, I don't know how much will it work(coz, am new to Spring).

I will do a simple application(let it be a student management or music library application) and will give you. I will be using spring mvc(3.0.2) hibernate, Tiles. If you don't mind could you please help me how to use this shept in this example application to perform various incell edit and other features offered by shept?. So, after doing that we can make it as a public repo on github.

am using netbeans. do you mind that?

if you don't mind could you please help me to get my another problem get solved? here is the thread :http://forum.springsource.org/showth...bean-in-a-form

Comment

Hi amFroz,
            if you don't mind could you please help me to get my another problem get solved? here is the thread :http://forum.springsource.org/showth...bean-in-a-form
            See my response over there. If you'd like we can go ahead and develop a shept frontend to your datamodel.
            You just need to handover a dataModel of 8-15 entities which should be self-explanatory.

Of course - yours or anybody else's model is welcome too (one at a time of course)

Comment

Hi Andreas,
              Sorry for the delay. I will give you the code(including the models) soon.

Comment

Working...
              X