Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployment Problem: What's the document root?

I've built my first Spring Roo web project. I got it all WAR'ed up and put up on my staging server, and after some wrestling with it, Tomcat deploys it without issue.

Now I can't get Apache configured to actually go to it.

Apache's DocumentRoot setting won't work unless the file is all unpacked. So I've put up an exploded-out tarball of my application in webapps/ rather than a .war file as I'd prefer.

Even then, I don't know what to point DocumentRoot at to launch my app. None of the URLs that work on the local vFabric server seem to translate properly to Apache/Tomcat. I don't HAVE an index.jsp here, I'm using Tiles as configured by Roo... Everything I try gets me a 404.

What is your root view? Isn't it "index.jspx" inside the view folder?
    Have you set a context.xml file in your META-INF in order to have your app respond to "sitename.com" ie the root context "/"? It mentions "This makes deployment easier, particularly if you're distributing a WAR file. "

This is suggested in approach #1 of the Tomcat 6 documentation. What version of Tomcat are you using? I can recommend the tomcat-users list for specific tomcat issues.

Comment

So what I did was set up my Tomcat servers virtual host with the file: .../apache-tomcat-6.0.33/conf/Catalina/[sitename]/ROOT.xml:
      Code:
      <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
      <Context displayName="[sitename]/" path="ROOT" workDir="work/Catalina/[sitename]/_" appBase="home/websites/[sitename]/webapps">
      </Context>
      where [sitename] is the domain name sans "www". I have also set up hosts in server.xml and used the same name there to set an Alias for "www.[sitename]".
      And finally in my webapp/META-INF directory in my project I have context.xml:
      Code:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <Context displayName="[sitename]" path="">
      </Context>

After I have packaged my app as a war I renamed it ROOT.war and put inside the appbase directory where Tomcat picks it up.

Comment

Working...
      X