X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring, Hibernate, and Cold Fusion

Greetings. We have a legacy web app we want to migrate. To begin the migration we need to integrate Spring and Cold Fusion. I am wondering if anyone else is trying this.

Thank you

Cody P Skidmore

Cody,

You want to port an legacy app to ColdFusion using Spring as your framework? Spring is a framework for J2EE (Java/JSP) applications.

Is ColdFusion your only option?

Josh

Comment

No we have a Cold Fusion app we are porting to Java. We are using Spring and Hibernate in the new implementation.

_While_ porting the app, we will have to interface the existing Cold Fusion code with the new Java code. So far this hasn't proved to be too much trouble.

Comment

I'm trying to get Spring to work in ColdFusion MX 6.1. I have a lot of problems with the log4j implementation though.

ColdFusion and Spring use different log4j versions, which seem to be incompatible. This problem is compounded by the fact that many of the classes in Spring use logging by default. I opened a new thread on this topic to see if anybody else has run in to this problem or has ideas on how to fix it.

- max

Comment

spindlenine,

Sorry for not replying. I've been deep-diving on this project and just came oup for air.

We had the same problem but got around it. I don't remember exactly what we did now, but as you stated, it was a compatibility issue. Most of the problems we experience deploying to JRun are compatibility issues.

A big one was JRun didn't support JSP 2.0. So we require two separate deployments. One contained the the JSP 1.x jar files and tlds; the other contained the JSP 2.0 stuff. BTW, deploying under Tomcat was far simpler so far.

If Adobe keeps JRun they need to look at deployment issues. It should be a little more intuitive imho.

Comment

Also, we used displaytag, and deploying it under JRun required more TLC. Grrr..

displaytag worked fine, but there are JSP specification issues with JRun. We had to remove some tlds from the displaytag jar file to get it working. Everytime the jar file loaded JRun found the 2.x tld first and used it. GRRR.

In case anyone is interested, the integration with CF is going well. It has been a good experience. It is really cool watching three disparate applications merge into one backend with different views.

The database schemas were completely different. Different development platforms. Monolithic designs. Its all going bye-bye. Spring/Hibernate. WHOYA!!!

Comment

No problem on the delayed reply. I actually figured out the issue and posted my findings (had to do with the webservices.jar file and commons-logging - search for ColdFusion and Spring in the forums for the specifics).

BTW, I heard that BlueDragon server doesn't have the logging/incompatibility issues with Spring that Macromedia/Adobe's version does. I haven't tested that myself yet.

Since you brought up JRun: we had some serious issues with JRun for a number of months in a production application. I was getting ready to switch to Tomcat with CF (which had been running fabulously on my Mac for ages), when we finally figured out that the JRun stability issues were with the JRun database pooling implementation, which is not stable at all from my experience. I ran some tests killing DB connections manually from Oracle, and JRun's connections never recovered, while CF's reconnected and kept on trucking. The only solution to clearing the killed JRun database connections was to restart JRun. Simply unnacceptable.

We switched to using the CF database pooling instead (by setting up our datasources in the CF Admin instead of JRun in J2EE mode), and the problem basically disappeared. Frustrating as hell, and Macromedia Support were nice, but weren't much help in diagnosing the issue (we basically figured it out ourselves).

Good luck with your Spring/CF/Hibernating! Blog about it, won't ya? We need more CF'ers using the CF/Java integration to its full capacity.

Maxim Porges

Comment

I was getting ready to switch to Tomcat with CF (which had been running fabulously on my Mac for ages), when we finally figured out that the JRun stability issues were with the JRun database pooling implementation, which is not stable at all from my experience. I ran some tests killing DB connections manually from Oracle, and JRun's connections never recovered, while CF's reconnected and kept on trucking. The only solution to clearing the killed JRun database connections was to restart JRun. Simply unnacceptable.
                That's the configuration we are having problems with. Hmmm.

Good luck with your Spring/CF/Hibernating! Blog about it, won't ya? We need more CF'ers using the CF/Java integration to its full capacity
                I'll be glad to share lessons learned here. However, my experience with CF/Spring is winding down.

Comment

Working...
                X