Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use Thymeleaf or JSP for the HTML layer?

I'm creating a webapp using Spring MVC, and I already programmed some JSPs for displaying data...

The problem is that some colleagues of mine talked to me about a template engine project called Thymeleaf [ http://www.thymeleaf.org ], and I read this comparison between it and JSP http://www.thymeleaf.org/thvsjsp.html and it looks so good!

Nevertheless, it still seems to be in beta, so I'd like to ask: does anyone know it? Anyone there already using it? Any words about advantages/disadvantages with JSP?

Thanks!

Although I don't have any experience from real projects (it's on the top of my libs-to-check-list), I would recommend Thymeleaf as a templating engine - it's somehow similar to Velocity, especially in that its implementation is not a part of application server but can be included in your WEB-INF/lib and it's a good thing. Also it seams more integrated with Spring (SpEL, plugins) than Velocity.
    Let me know how it worked for you!

regards
    Grzegorz Grzybek
    Last edited by Grzegorz Grzybek; Jul 6th, 2011, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Thank you. I am reading the tutorial and it looks much better than JSP, especially the internationalization tools and HTML5 support. Anyway, for using it in my project I think I'll probably wait until they release a stable version because don't want to have API changes, and being a beta these might happen...

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Thymeleaf. I am the author of this library, and I just wanted to let you know that the first stable version (1.0.0) will be released very soon (most probably in just a couple of weeks).

I hope you like the technology. I am pretty sure that once you learn it you will never feel the need to go back to JSP again!

Regards,
        Daniel.

Comment

Thanks for http://www.thymeleaf.org/

Also i started to use thymeleaf framework. Maybe by the time it can be part of springsource mvc

Comment

I've written in July that I'm going to use Thymeleaf. It's February 2012 and I'm happy to say that Thymeleaf is now a view technology in large, governmental web application in Poland! It works like a charm! With natural templating I've prototyped some HTML pages, used them in a project document and then, without any converters, generators I've used these templates in final version!

Log messages are wonderful, it's all clear and beautiful - as I say - "zero entropy" - no chaos (as with JSPs and taglibs/tagdirs). I have one template named "_controls.html" which contains all form controls (text, dates, ...) which use jquery - and gues what - the work offline (just opened in browser) too!

So everyone - start using Thymeleaf!

Comment

Working...
            X