Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring-ws archetype and development in STS

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance on development of a spring-ws project. I am assuming that the maven archetype for spring-ws assumes development outside an IDE environment, hence my need for guidance.

When I create a spring-ws project in STS I create a new maven project and specify the spring-ws-archetype (1.5.9). Is it better to do this or run maven from the command line to build the project and then run mvn eclipse:eclipse to make the project importable into eclipse (STS) - or does it make no odds either way?

I have noticed that the java version of the created spring-ws project in STS is 1.4 - which makes use of java 1.5+ features (e.g. annotations) awkward. I intend for my project to use JAXB2 marshalling. I use the xjc tool to create the binding classes used by the marshaller. The tool creates java source that has annotations... Is there a version of the spring-ws-archetype that is setup for java 1.5+ and annotations? If not what changes to the POM do I need to make to make it so?

Spring-ws project does not seem to be like SpringMVC projects in that it doesn't seem to support deployment to an "internal" instance of tomcat... What I mean is that when I try to run the project ("Run As -> Run on Server"), something gets deployed but key files (like the application class files, the spring config files, wsdl, xsd) are not where they are supposed to be. Are there tweaks I can apply to the POM to induce STS to compile classes and move files to where they need to be?

At the moment I am crawling about on my hands an knees to try an find a satisfactory resolution to the issues I have encountered thus far - any assistance would be greatfully received.

With thanks in anticipation,
    Chamal

I am not working with STS but with Eclipse. For my spring-ws projects, I just create a dynamic web project (which, in essention, it is). Somehow those projects are set to 1.4 as well - I need to modify the build-path to use my workspace default (1.6) JDK.

You'll need to modify the pom.xml as well:
    Code:
    <build>
    	<plugins>
    		<plugin>
    			<groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
    			<artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
    			<configuration>
    				<source>1.6</source>
    				<target>1.6</target>
    			</configuration>
    		</plugin>
    	</plugins>
    </build>

Comment

Thanks that little POM mod seems to make all the difference... STS now builds the target classes folder and runs my little project the IDE tomcat context....

Originally posted by evandongen View Post
      I am not working with STS but with Eclipse. For my spring-ws projects, I just create a dynamic web project (which, in essention, it is). Somehow those projects are set to 1.4 as well - I need to modify the build-path to use my workspace default (1.6) JDK.

You'll need to modify the pom.xml as well:
      Code:
      <build>
      	<plugins>
      		<plugin>
      			<groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
      			<artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
      			<configuration>
      				<source>1.6</source>
      				<target>1.6</target>
      			</configuration>
      		</plugin>