Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Need some assitance with Promoting Spring WS over WL 9.2 Web Services Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some assitance with Promoting Spring WS over WL 9.2 Web Services

Dear Arjen, and anyone else who may like to contribute.

I am getting pushback from our Infrastructure team about using Spring 2.x WS. They want our group to use BEA's methodology for creating web services. Truthfully, I am not a WebLogic 9.2 or Spring expert, although I have more experience in Spring.

Much of the conversations we have had are between one individual and me. The subject about JEE "stacks" gets brought up, "being JSR 181 compliant" and pretty soon we have a conversation that begins and ends with "We just want to find the best way to do this and that everyone should agree on how we should do it". Our respective managers just look on, nod their heads and wonder about what it is we are actually talking about.

In the end, we are both arguing for the same thing, but we are approaching it from different directions and it gets confusing for the decision makers. My team member doesn’t understand Spring enough to grasp the points I am trying to make and I can’t seem to explain everything clearly enough to project that SME “authority” which gives management a warm fuzzy for what they regard as “New” technology.

If folks could provide me with links, knowledge, or even shameless marketing material in support of the agenda below, I would appreciate it. I have been busting my as* learning Web services, Spring web services, Web Logic and trying to sort through the flotsam and jetsam of standards. It is not easy.

Here is the meeting agenda I am proposing...

Meeting Purpose: Demonstrate the differences between Web Services with and without Spring WS under WebLogic 9.2

1. Java Web Services Stack in WL 9.2
    Features and Compliance to Standards
    Annotations
    Security
    Messaging
    Marshalling
    Manual Contract First WS Development Process with WL
    Eclipse Plug-in for WL 9.x Web Service Development
    Client Technologies for WL 9.2 Web Services
    Unit Testing and Web Services
    Builds and Deployment

2. Demonstration for creating Web Services in WL 9.2 through Eclipse

3. Spring 2.x Web Services
    Features and Compliance to Standards
    Annotations
    Security
    Messaging
    Marshalling
    Manual Contract First WS Development Process with Spring
    Leveraging Spring methodologies with templates across Application layers
    Client Technologies for Spring Web Services
    Unit Testing and Web Services
    Builds and Deployment

4. Demonstration for creating Web Services in Eclipse with Spring WS

Thank you very much!

Curtis Fisher

Oh, the meeting is next Monday, so quick replies would be appreciated!

Curtis

Comment

Well, whatever you choose, make sure to take a contract-first approach, even if using JSR 181. See http://static.springframework.org/sp...act-first.html

Also, SWS puts an extra layer in between business services and the Web service, meaning that the two are separate, and can change independently. This makes a lot of sense architecturally.

Also, it's important to note that you don't need to create the entire WSDL yourself, but can generate it from an XSD, based on conventions.
      Last edited by Arjen Poutsma; Oct 31st, 2007, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X