Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wsit

Hi,

is it possible to replace JAX-WS with WSIT in Spring-WS?

WSIT provides such nice things like SecurityPoilcy and MTOM support, that's why i ask.

Cheers,

Ingo

I'm not sure what WSIT is, but to me it looks like a set of aggregated technologies, such as JAX-WS, JAXB, etc. Spring-WS can use the same technologies, so changes are things like MTOM can already been made to work. I've just not had the time to test them.

Comment

Ahh, i hoped you understand that whole WSIT thing.

As far as i know, WSIT is using JAX-WS (still in the version 2.0) and is adding additional WS-* functionalities which are pushed by microsoft (and ibm).

The core is the same(?), so i asking me if WSIT can be a (nearly) drop-in replacement for JAX-WS.

For me it's the same, i haven't the time to play with that WSIT thing. But it sounds interesting, because of the support for some WS-* specifications.

Cheers,

Ingo

Comment

WSIT (Web Services Interoperability Technology) provides an implementation of key WS-* specifications and is built as an extension to JAX-WS 2.1 RI. So if you are using JAX-WS, then you can replace WSIT bits and still get all the JAX-WS functionality + support for Reliable Messaging, Security, Security Policy, Atomic Transactions etc. WSIT + JAX-WS 2.1 is bundled in GlassFish v2 (Open Source Java EE 5 application server) that can be downloaded from http://glassfish.dev.java.net.

Please visit http://wsit.dev.java.net for more details or read my blog at http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/category/webservices. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,
        -Arun

Comment

Hi Arun,

thank you for your explanation.
          is built as an extension to JAX-WS 2.1
          But it's not an extension in the way that i simply add an additional listener to a JAX-WS class and get support for WS-SecurityPolicy (for example). WSIT is replacing the JAX-WS libraries, rights? (Although it uses JAX-WS classes internal)

I know the WSIT homepage, but i think it isn't well explained what WSIT is and why someone will need it.

Please, can you also explain me why WSIT is necessary? I mean, the intention of WS is interoperability, why do we need a projekt which wants to achieve a better interoperability only to .NET? That could break interoperability to other WS libraries of other languages.

Regarding the support for WS-* specifications: I like the idea of more WS-* support, but why isn't it simply designed as something like an plugin to JAX-WS (instead of an other WS library)?

I would be really pleased if you anser my questions, because i'm interested in WSIT (i have to provide .NET support for our new WS application).

Cheers,

Ingo

Comment

Stay tuned, I'll provide a more detailed answer later today.

Comment

I'll provide a more detailed answer later today
              Thank you!

That's really thrilling.

Ingo

Comment

Looks like it's going to be some time next now since I was swamped today. But I've already started working on it.

But the basic idea is, WSIT is indeed developed as an extension to JAX-WS. Instead of dropping some additional jars in your existing JAX-WS infrastructure, WSIT pre-bundles JAX-WS and provides one easy-to-download experience. This allows you to replace your existing JAX-WS jars with WSIT jars, continue getting all the JAX-WS functionality and in addition achieve interop with .NET as well.

The focus of WSIT is interop with .NET. As with interop with other vendors, we've not seen any issues in our limited testing. But feel free to report an issue on WSIT Issue Tracker at:

https://wsit.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectIssues

-Arun

Comment

Thank you for your answer. It really sounds good.

Maybe Spring-WS can reuse some libraries of WSIT or use it as a whole. I think SWS could benefit of WSIT. It would be interesting, what Arjen is thinking about this...
                  Especially the WS-(Security)Policy interegration fits very good for contract first web services.

Cheers,

Ingo

Comment

Sounds interesting, I will investigate.

Comment

That would be really wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                      X