Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAP over JMS Web Services

Arjen,
    Since Spring Web Services are based on the DispatcherServlet, it would seem that SOAP over JMS is not supported. Does the road map include adding support for JMS?
    Shannon Kendrick

Well, actually, the stack is quite HTTP-independent. Except from the MessageEndpointHandlerAdapter, there are no references to servlet code anymore. In the last couple of weeks I did my best to remove the last explicit reference to the Http stack, and replaced them with the TransportRequest/TransportResponse abstraction.

Because you route the messages based on content or SOAP action, you are not dependent on any URLs, and can use the same MessageDispatcher for HTTP, JMS, mail, etc.

So basically, it's quite possible to create a JMS transport (i.e. a JmsTransportContext, JmsTransportRequest, and JmsTransportResponse). The only issue is that there is no "standard" way to do this, i.e. there is no spec. IBM seems to do it, and so does XFire, but I have no idea as to how to achieve interoperability with these.

Do you need the JMS support?

Comment

Originally posted by poutsma
      IBM seems to do it, and so does XFire, but I have no idea as to how to achieve interoperability with these.

Do you need the JMS support?
      We expect to run our services on IBM WebSphere Application Server 6.1 which supports web services over JMS. I'm not exactly sure how WebSphere addresses the JMS issue, but I expect that a message driven bean would receive the message and delegate to the service handlers. The architect on the project is currently planning to support JMS since the web service client has more experience using JMS than traditional HTTP type services. I would like to use Spring WS since I have a lot of respect for the Spring Framework. We just need to understand how to adapt the SWS framework to JMS. If you get a chance, take a look at this PDF "Web Services Handbook
      for WebSphere Application
      Server Version 6.1" at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247257.html

Shannon Kendrick

Comment

Great, I will take a look at that PDF.

Comment

Working...
        X