Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSDL 2.0 support in Spring-WS

Dear All,
    This is first time that I have started using spring-ws for webservices. Till now I was involved in bottom up approach or implementation first approach. Now as I am working on current project. It was decided by architect that we will use WSDL 2.0. I understand that with spring-ws contract first model WSDL is auto generated. I can also see that the general WSDL is of WSDL 1.1 format.

Is there a way that we can have the WSDLs exposed as per WSDL 2.0 specification using spring-ws?

Thanks and Best Regards,
    Nisar.

Hello

It was decided by architect that we will use WSDL 2.0
    Can I speak with your architect?

But seriously. WSDL is a contract. And it's most important for consumers of the service. What the consumers of your service are? Are you (your architect) sure they understand WSDL 2.0? Although WSDL 1.1. is 12 years old (WSDL 2.0 - 6 years). It's WSDL 1.1 that is the ubiquitous standard. WSDL 2.0 was released at the end of "Web Service Middle Ages" when everything was XML-ized or XML-Infoset-ized. It was the beginning of SOA and ESB times. WSDL 2.0 was to replace WSDL 1.1 - it was easier (it really is!) it introduced quite nice concepts (together with SOAP 1.2) of modules/features of its implementations.

But in practice almost no one uses WSDL 2.0. In Java-land (and probably in the entire Universe) there's only Apache Woden (in version 1.0M9 right now).

So after the long introduction, the answer is: no. Unless you'll implement your own org.springframework.ws.wsdl.WsdlDefinition based (let me guess: on Apache Woden? )

regards
    Grzegorz Grzybek

Comment

Originally posted by Grzegorz Grzybek View Post
      So after the long introduction, the answer is: no. Unless you'll implement your own org.springframework.ws.wsdl.WsdlDefinition based (let me guess: on Apache Woden? )
      Thank you Grzegorz Grzybek, This is what I too am wondering. But the design document that was provided to me says 2.0. So now atleast I have some 'long introduction' that supports my understanding. Let me put forward this and make it 1.1 or get to know what made 2.0 to be chosen. Atleast now I have an argument to put forward and a supporter .

Thank you once again.

Comment

One more thing.

You may tell your architect, that "WSDL 2.0" is not a good "architecture foundation". It's quite a bad one. Actually saying "we'll use WSDL 1.1 as an architecture foundation" is the same...

It's like saying - we will pack our application in TAR.GZ instead of ZIP - it's irrelevant.

Let me explain - I'm now using WSO2 ESB for one of my company's products. You can publish your (Axis2) Web Services there and you get both WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 2.0 descriptions for free for every published Web Service.

What does that mean that you'll use WSDL 2.0 - will that be the first artifact you'll create? WSDL is just description of the service. It should rather not be considered a first choice - rather one of the effects of other choices (i.e. choosing WSO2 ESB will give you booth version of WSDL after the hard times of dealing with Axis2 ). That's strange, the architect has chosen WSDL 2.0 but has left you with the choice of the actual framework (which is Spring-WS I guess ). Ask him/her:
        • who will consume the WSDL 2.0 (is there .NET client among the consumers?)
        • will the WSDL 2.0 document be an input to some generator (will you generate classes, services from the description?)
        • would you like to test the WSDL document with WS-I compliance tools? (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...t-use-wsdl-2-0)

regards
        Grzegorz Grzybek

Comment

Working...
        X