Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Webservice-Client: Common approach with Spring WS, JAXB and just one WSDL file? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webservice-Client: Common approach with Spring WS, JAXB and just one WSDL file?

Hello,

I would like to use Spring WS to build a Webservice-Client with JAXB for marshalling and unmarshalling the Java classes.

But what I have is just one WSDL file. When I understand it right, I can generate Java classes with JAXB (xbj.exe), which then can be used by me with Spring WS to retrieve the Webservice-Data and send an answer.

But JAXB can only generate Java classes from xsd-schema files. Must I now manually copy those xsd-definitions from within the WSDL file to generate those classes via JAXB? (in my case the WSDL file contains 4 XSD definitions).

Or is there a way to just convert the whole WSDL to Java classes which I can use with Spring WS (I know there is the "wsimport", but it is part of JAX-WS and I think I can't use it in this scenario, right?).

So what is the common approach with Spring WS / JAXB / one WSDL file?

I really would like to get startet with Spring WS and JAXB - thanks a lot for your help!

look here http://blog.dawouds.com/2008/09/mave...sing-jaxb.html

Comment

Hello ptalakanti,

thanks for your answer. Your link describes the maven task like the following webpage: http://jaxb.java.net/jaxb-maven2-plugin/

The difference is, that the official JAXB-page also uses .xsd files directly, not the WSDL. The example in your link uses quite the same approach with the small difference, that for "xjc.exe" the parameter "-wsdl" will be used. But when I start "xjc.exe" manually and display the help, the "-wsdl" parameter reads:

"treat input as WSDL and compile schemas inside it (experimental,unsupported)".

So I thought this could not be the common way to do it.

Comment

I am not sure why the example was not working but I ended up creating a maven build file to generate java objects from wsdl

I could not download the plugin, It turns out it is not available on maven central so I added this repository to pom.xml

Code:
        <pluginRepositories>
          	<pluginRepository>
          	  <id>maven2-repository.java.net</id>
        	  <name>Java.net Repository for Maven</name>
        	  <url>http://download.java.net/maven/2</url>
        	  <layout>default</layout>
          	</pluginRepository>
          </pluginRepositories>
        I have to say the documentation is not really good for this plugin, I stumbled around a bit before I got this working. I used the following maven plugin config to generate the java objects from wsdl input

Code:
        <plugin>
        <groupId>com.sun.tools.xjc.maven2</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-jaxb-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.1.1</version>
         <configuration>
        	<generateDirectory>src/main/java</generateDirectory>
        	<generatePackage>prasanna.generated</generatePackage>
        	<schemaDirectory>src/main/resources</schemaDirectory>
         </configuration>
        	<executions>
        	  <execution>
        		<phase>compile</phase>
        		<goals>
        	        	<goal>generate</goal>
        		</goals>
        		<configuration>
        		<schemaDirectory>src/main/resources</schemaDirectory>
        		<readOnly>true</readOnly>
        		<includeSchemas>
        		<includeSchema>hello.wsdl</includeSchema>
        		</includeSchemas>
        		<args>-wsdl</args>
        		</configuration>		
        	</execution>
        	</executions>
         </plugin>
        looks like you did the same thing, I don't know why you got that error. I tried to attach my pom.xml to the post but I keep getting invalid file error

Comment

Hi,

I am looking for a similar way of developing a webservice-Client, can you please suggest me a good site , where i can start with.Since i do not know much about JAXB.

Comment

Hello GSP,

when starting with Spring WS, I think the official reference documentation is a good start point. It is not as heavy as the Spring core documentation, so I think, especially when focusing the development of a Webservice client, you will get started quickly.

As for JAXB, when you only want to generate classes out of a XML Schema file (.xsd), you just use the command line tool "xjc.exe", found in your JDK bin-directory, it is really easy. For a webservice client, this is what you only need. Of course, JAXB is more than that, and if you want to learn to annotate your own classes with JAXB, I suggest consulting JAXB's official documentation, also. But for a Webservice client, you only need JAXB generate your files and then have a look at the Marshalling mechanism in the Spring WS documentation.
            Last edited by patb; Aug 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help.I will try Spring WS and let you know.

Comment

This very helpful to me too ptalakanti...

Comment

I use WSDL generation using this maven artefact.

Here are some problems i already met with other technologies (no Spring ws) remote webservices :
                  - SOAP Action is required by some remote webservices ==> you have to add it in soap header using a callback
                  - the wsdl only declares complexType and no element ==> you have to add the complexType object in a JAXBElement with the good QName
                  - the wsdl uses the same root tag for all functions (for example : parameters) and functions all returns the same root tag ==> you have to use a JAXBElement with the good QName for the request / You have to use a specific source extractor

In order to call remote services using their wsdl, i shared an interceptor that allows all those functions : https://itcb.svn.sourceforge.net/svn...terceptor.java
                  In my java code, i just have to code a JAVA interface that matches the remote wsdl with generated classes as parameters and return types. The interceptor does his work in order to call webservice.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Check the following tutorials. You might find something interesting:

http://krams915.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html

http://krams915.blogspot.com/2010/12...ing-3-mvc.html
                    http://krams915.blogspot.com/2010/12...ng-client.html

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Did anyone suceed in developeing clien web service code using Spring WS, starting with wsdl and using Ant script ?

Thanks
                      Prachi

Comment

Working...
                      X