Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion about expressions panel when debugging

Hi,

I'm using STS 2.5.2. I'm debugging a Grails (1.2.1) project and had a question about the expressions panel (http://screencast.com/t/9j26pQnVGxKd). Is it possible to do on-the-fly evaluations of variables or expressions that are currently in-scope? If so, I'm not having success -- i.e. getting the message "<error(s)_during_the_evaluation>" when entering in variable names that are defined in the current scope.

Thanks for any clarifications, - Dave

H Dave,

In general, yes the expressions view is working. However, there are cases where debug support breaks down. We have fixed a few bugs in the area recently, so I would recommend that you upgrade to STS 2.6.0.

One thing that I notice in your screenshot is that the debug location is on the line where the variable is being declared. So, it hadn't been declared yet. What happens if you do a step over in the program (ie- F6) and go to the next line? Can you now see the variable in the expressions view?

Do you see any exceptions in the error log?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I upgraded and when I stepped over the line I referenced in the screen shot I did see a value. Additionally entering expressions on the fly does produce values as well. I thought i was doing that with the previous version, but whatever the case things seem to be working smoothly now.

- Dave

Comment

Great. Please let me know if you have any more issues.

Comment

Working...
        X