Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No valid Spring Roo installation error

I'm not sure why I suddenly get this in STS 2.6.0Release:
    No valid Spring Roo installation configured. Use the "Roo Support" preference pane to configure available Roo installations
    When I go to this panel, I see what you see in the attached file. It looks like it usually does when roo works.

This directory is runnable and operationable from the command line with "roo", yet STS won't recognize it as valid.

Anyone else is seeing this?
    Last edited by MiB; Mar 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM.

verified Roo is working in 2.5.2SR1

I have now verified that my installation of Roo 1.1.2 is working in STS 2.5.2SR1. The problem is limited to 2.6.0Release. It did work though since a week at least. Then after a manual quit and starting up later in the day it suddenly is giving me the above message that I have no valid Roo installation.

I'm going to reinstall 2.6.0Release.

No one else is seeing this?

Comment

Happens for me too.

With both stable Roo 1.1.2.RELEASE and 1.1.3.BUILD-SNAPSHOT [rev 68567d6], on STS 2.6.0. Haven't tried with an older STS version.

Comment

This is crazy! I reinstalled STS 2.6.0Release from scratch including Roo 1.1.2 (after I had changed my user to admin-status). Roo works from the command line. Roo works in STS 2.5.2SR1. But not in 2.6.0Release!

I have no idea on how to troubleshoot this. Hmmm. Could it be workspace-related?

Comment

Ilian, can you create a new project?

Here are some clues from my project:

I made a new project and Roo 1.1.2 runs. It still refuses to open my old project, which doesn't even show up in the "Roo Shell Project Selection" dialog. I will have to recreate it from scratch.
          Even so, this project both builds, deploys, can be opened and worked upon from the command line and has a Roo-project nature. It just that STS doesn't regard it as a Roo-project in spite of all that.

I did have problems on 2.5.2 with this project after I had installed Roo 1.1.2 and updated the project from 1.1.1, but all that went away when I upgraded to 2.6.0M1 and also worked fine in M2. Now it works in 2.5.2SR1, but not in2.6.0Release.

Isn't all this a tiny little bit curiuoso?

Comment

This symptom continues with all older projects, even after I have completed all upgrade steps for the current Roo 1.1.2 version, STS still thinks there is no valid Spring Roo installation, even though recreating the project works. Though that's really painful.
            I'll try a comparison later when I have the time.

Even so, this is clearly a bug as I can't open Roo for any existing project after this problem occurs unless I reselect my Roo installation in preferences.

All pointers, experiences and thoughts concerning this issue are very welcome.
            Last edited by MiB; Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM.

Comment

All,

this is very strange. Can you please send, attach or post the contents of .settings/com.springsource.sts.roo.core.prefs and .project? This might be helpful to identify the root cause.

One additional question: are you using an existing workspace with 2.6.0.RELEASE? I mean one that has been created with an older version of STS?

Christian

Comment

solved!

Originally posted by Christian Dupuis View Post
                All,

this is very strange. Can you please send, attach or post the contents of .settings/com.springsource.sts.roo.core.prefs and .project? This might be helpful to identify the root cause.
                Here's the thing: I had no "com.springsource.sts.roo.core.prefs" file in ".settings" possibly as i had run "mvn clean:eclipse eclipse:eclipse" so I copied it from a working project and now the roo shell will open the project!
                One symptom to note is that when in the "Roo Shell Project Selection" dialog no Roo version is added to the project name.

Thanks for your input Christian that made me find the root cause!
                However, I really don't think the "com.springsource.sts.roo.core.prefs" file should have to be present for STS to be able to open an existing updated Roo project properly. Do you agree? If so, it might be a JIRA-worth issue after all.

For completeness here's my .profile file:
                .project:
                Code:
                <projectDescription>
                  <name>Tasktracker</name>
                  <comment/>
                  <projects/>
                  <buildSpec>
                    <buildCommand>
                      <name>org.eclipse.ajdt.core.ajbuilder</name>
                    </buildCommand>
                    <buildCommand>
                      <name>org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.builder</name>
                    </buildCommand>
                    <buildCommand>
                      <name>org.eclipse.wst.validation.validationbuilder</name>
                    </buildCommand>
                    <buildCommand>
                      <name>org.eclipse.ajdt.core.ajbuilder</name>
                      <arguments>
                        <dictionary>
                          <key>aspectPath</key>
                          <value>org.springframework.aspects</value>
                        </dictionary>
                      </arguments>
                    </buildCommand>
                    <buildCommand>
                      <name>org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.springbuilder</name>
                    </buildCommand>
                  </buildSpec>
                  <natures>
                    <nature>org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.nature</nature>
                    <nature>org.eclipse.ajdt.ui.ajnature</nature>
                    <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
                    <nature>org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore.ModuleCoreNature</nature>
                    <nature>org.eclipse.jem.workbench.JavaEMFNature</nature>
                    <nature>com.springsource.sts.roo.core.nature</nature>
                    <nature>org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.springnature</nature>
                  </natures>
                </projectDescription>
                One additional question: are you using an existing workspace with 2.6.0.RELEASE? I mean one that has been created with an older version of STS?
                Yes, mine was originally created with the STS version current late summer 2010. I'm also sharing this space with Netbeans 6.8, though I'm haven't been using that much lately. When I do it's 100% maven projects and moving between NB and STS have always worked without any problems.

Comment

However, I really don't think the "com.springsource.sts.roo.core.prefs" file should have to be present for STS to be able to open an existing updated Roo project properly. Do you agree? If so, it might be a JIRA-worth issue after all.
                  Indeed, that sounds like a bug to me. Please raise a JIRA and I'll look into this asap.

Thanks, Christian

Comment

JIRA report

Christian, here it is:
                    missing roo.core.prefs in project causes "No valid Spring Roo installation" message in roo shell

Comment

Thanks for the JIRA. I fixed committed a fix for this issue.

Cheers, Christian

Comment

All,

this is very strange. Can you please send, attach or post the contents of .settings/com.springsource.sts.roo.core.prefs and .project?

Christian
                        HI Christian, am having the same problem, STS telling me there is no valid Roo installation configured... where can I find the two files you mention? I cannot find a .settings folder anywhere, where should I be looking?

Thanks

Comment

I recently had this issue also in a new install of STS, with an import of an existing project.
                          In my previous workspace i had selected a custom roo install.
                          I checked my .settings folder, and i had the prefs file.

To resolve my issue, i had to right click the project and select the roo install i wanted in 'roo support'.
                          After a reboot of sts everything worked fine.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your solution with us here!

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                            X