X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 2.6.0 Upgrade Error - Spring IDE

Spring IDE error when trying to read a 'resource.xml' file from a Grails project after upgrading from 2.5.2 to 2.6.0. Got the red marker, and it looks like some base components failed to load, no individual errors in the file.

Code:
    org.apache.xerces.parsers.ObjectFactory$ConfigurationError: Provider org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeAwareParserConfiguration could not be instantiated: org.apache.xerces.impl.dv.DVFactoryException: DTD factory class org.apache.xerces.impl.dv.dtd.DTDDVFactoryImpl does not extend from DTDDVFactory.
    at org.apache.xerces.parsers.ObjectFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.parsers.ObjectFactory.createObject(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.io.xml.LineNumberPreservingDOMParser.<init>(LineNumberPreservingDOMParser.java:40)
    at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.io.xml.XercesDocumentLoader.loadDocument(XercesDocumentLoader.java:35)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:388)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:334)
    at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.beans.core.internal.model.BeansConfig$2.loadBeanDefinitions(BeansConfig.java:375)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:302)
    at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.beans.core.internal.model.BeansConfig$3.call(BeansConfig.java:421)
    at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.beans.core.internal.model.BeansConfig$3.call(BeansConfig.java:1)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Looks like someone else hit it too:

https://issuetracker.springsource.co...ream-issue-tab

Other details from my setup:

- Batch namespace added (and later removed) from the Spring file, made no difference on the error.

Also get:
    Plug-in com.springsource.sts.roo.ui was unable to load class com.springsource.sts.roo.ui.internal.maven.RooProj ectConfigurator.

Plug-in com.springsource.sts.maven was unable to load class com.springsource.sts.maven.internal.core.SpringPro jectConfigurator.

Plug-in com.springsource.sts.maven was unable to load class com.springsource.sts.maven.internal.core.DataNucle usProjectConfigurator.

All three of those are no class def error stack traces in the Eclipse Error Log, but are otherwise not visibile to the Markers.

Comment

Hey,

could you please attach your complete error log to the JIRA issue. This is some sort of hard to debug error.

How did you install STS? From the distribution or through an update site.

Christian

Comment

Code:
        eclipse.buildId=2.6.0.201103161000-RELEASE
        java.version=1.6.0_24
        java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
        BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
        Framework arguments:  -product com.springsource.sts.ide
        Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -product com.springsource.sts.ide

This is a continuation of log file /home/user/ws/.metadata/.bak_0.log
        Created Time: 2011-03-19 00:10:31.871

Info
        Sat Mar 19 12:38:52 EDT 2011
        Error occured processing '/MyProject/grails-app/conf/spring/resources.xml'

org.apache.xerces.parsers.ObjectFactory$ConfigurationError: Provider org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeAwareParserConfiguration could not be instantiated: org.apache.xerces.impl.dv.DVFactoryException: DTD factory class org.apache.xerces.impl.dv.dtd.DTDDVFactoryImpl does not extend from DTDDVFactory.
        	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.ObjectFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        	at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.io.xml.LineNumberPreservingDOMParser.<init>(LineNumberPreservingDOMParser.java:40)
        	at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.io.xml.XercesDocumentLoader.loadDocument(XercesDocumentLoader.java:35)
        	at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:388)
        	at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:334)
        	at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.beans.core.internal.model.BeansConfig$2.loadBeanDefinitions(BeansConfig.java:375)
        	at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:302)
        	at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.beans.core.internal.model.BeansConfig$3.call(BeansConfig.java:421)
        	at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.beans.core.internal.model.BeansConfig$3.call(BeansConfig.java:1)
        	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
        	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
        	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
        	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Comment

I also only did the update site installation, though I suspect it applies to both from this ticket created:

https://issuetracker.springsource.co...ream-issue-tab

Comment

I'm getting the same error for every one of the Spring configuration files in my web application. I've attached the error log and configuration to this post. Because of size restrictions, I broke the configuration up into two files and zipped those up. If you have any other questions about my configuration, let me know and I'll dig it up!

BTW, I installed clean from the primary installation exe after deleting my existing 2.5.1 installation.

Comment

FYI, I'm running Ubuntu, Helios, JDK 1.6.0.24. STS configuration is standard STS with Trac, Groovy, Grails, Roo, Subclipse, and EGit - all installed from STS Dashboard.

According to places this error comes from, looks like someone has an old dependency to xercesImpl. Given that this is a break over 2.5, perhaps it is related to a new package/import/dependency that got added.

Comment

Hi,

I just published a fix for this to the STS Extension install (Open the STS Dashboard -> Extensions tab -> Select 'Patch for issue STS-1672' and click install).

For those of you with Spring IDE only, the patch can be installed from http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/patches/e3.6.

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Christian

Comment

Christian, Jabberz and rherrick thank you all so much for helping to find and fix this issue. I was getting this error Friday afternoon (and yesterday) and I was filled with anxiety thinking I'd fail to ship my very first web app, at my first "real job", right out of college.

Thanks for keeping up the quality and reliability that people have come to expect from Spring and the Spring Community Forums.

Comment

broken link

Hello the link above

http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/patches/e3.6

gives "AccessDenied"

thanks

Comment

Try the link as update site by pasting it into the "install new software" dialog from Eclipse. Accessing the link from the browser gives you the access denied error.

HTH,
                      Martin

Comment

still have the problem with Selenium 2

I"m using Selenium 2. I applied the patch and am still getting this problem.

Here is a pom extract:
                        Code:
                                <dependency>
                                    <groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
                                    <artifactId>selenium-server</artifactId>
                                    <version>2.0rc2</version>
                                    <scope>test</scope>
                                    <exclusions>
                                        <exclusion>
                                            <artifactId>commons-logging</artifactId>
                                            <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
                                        </exclusion>
                                    </exclusions>
                                </dependency>

<dependency>
                                    <artifactId>selenium-remote-control</artifactId>
                                    <scope>test</scope>
                                </dependency>
                        When I add xerces as an exclusion:
                        Code:
                                <dependency>
                                    <artifactId>selenium-server</artifactId>
                                    <scope>test</scope>
                                    <exclusions>
                                        <exclusion>
                                            <artifactId>commons-logging</artifactId>
                                            <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
                                        </exclusion>
                                        <exclusion>
                                            <artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
                                            <groupId>xerces</groupId>
                                        </exclusion>
                                    </exclusions>
                                </dependency>
                        The STS Problems view no longer complains. But at runtime I get a complaint that Xerces is missing.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/xni/XNIException

(Of course; I excluded it)

OSX 10.5.8
                        Java 1.5
                        STS Version: 2.6.1.RELEASE

Comment

Sorry, I fixed it myself.

I was on an older backup macbook temporarily and didn't realize that there was a java 1.6 update for Leopard.
                          http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1359

That fixed it.

Comment

The link points to an update site, which can put into the "install new software" dialog of STS/Eclipse. It is not meant to open in a browser.
                            Also think about using the latest 2.7.0.M2, for which you don't need the patch... :-)

HTH,
                            Martin

Comment

I just updated the Eclipse plugin to 2.7.0 RELEASE and am still having similar problem. is the M2 version newer than the RELEASed version?

Comment

Working...
                              X