Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push in refactor in STS 3.5.0 -> "No crosscutting model"

Whoops! I meant STS 2.5.0 of course!
    I select my Spring Roo project and go to refactor. There is no "push in" to select. If I go to my main package, I can select "push in", but then the cursor changes to a ball and nothing at all happens. I wait a while and move the mouse and cursor changes to an arrow and it's like my command never was given.

If I then restart the STS and open it and chooses "push in", again at the package level, I get a dialog that says: "Rebuild Project. No crosscutting model available".
    So I rebuild with mvn clean install. The build is successful including basic tests. I select "push in" again. Same dialog.

This problem may be related to my other problem: STS 2.5.0RELEASE failure of "enable spring aspects tooling".
    If it is then the problem must be that I can't get the spring aspects tooling to work fully.

This sure feels like a bug or several in STS 2.5.0 or if it has something to with the version of the AJDT plugin. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Anyone have some advice how to analyze this problem with STS or its plugins?

STS 2.5.0 on JDK1.5.0_20 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 PPC
    Last edited by MiB; Nov 15th, 2010, 03:06 AM. Reason: error

I have checked the plugin folder of STS to see if there are any .gz-files and there weren't. I'm going to reinstall to see if that helps, then go back to the version before 2.5.0 to see it that works better.

It would be helpful if anyone else using 2.5.0 on jdk1.5 on Mac could tell about their experiences.
    Last edited by MiB; Mar 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

As mentioned in your previous post, you first need a successful build inside Eclipse before the crosscutting model is created correctly. However, this must be a build executed from within Eclipse. Try doing a Project -> Clean... on the Roo project. Doing a Maven->Clean does not invoke the AJDT builder (but rather ajc is invoked from maven) and so the crosscutting model is not created (it should be faster also).

Comment

solved!

This distinction between native STS build and maven build was actually something I had missed, so that paired with the fact that private members of the .aj file isn't available directly from the advised java file gave me the proper approach.
        All your answers gave very useful information. A big thank you, Andrew!

Comment

No problem. Glad to see the issue resolved.

Comment

Hello,

I wished the project>clean would had help me... but not.

I know for sure that the command is working. But right clinking on Roo project refactor submenu, only shows rename and move after cleaned. No push-in at all.

I tried on latest fresh installation of 2.5 and 2.6. What else can I do at this point.

Thank you in advance

jD

Comment

I can't imagine why you would not be seeing the Push in... option unless there is something wrong with your STS installation.

Have a look in your error log to see if there are any relevant exceptions and please paste them here.

Comment

Hello Andrew,

I agree with you it was really weird and time consuming...

In one of my many tries: I deactivate and active the JDT Weaving and suddenly started to work.

I am sure I did that before since I installed multiple versions of sts and eclipse.

Anyway is working Good grief!

Second quick question you might help me. I am trying to use the new caching feature coming with Spring 3.1 with Roo generated entities. I am getting an exception that cache is not supported with aspect proxies. I assume that by pushing my entities and removing the aspects cache would started to work. But not. I wonder if you know anything about it.

Thank you for replying this promptly

B. Roogards
                jD
                Last edited by delgad9; Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I'd recommend that you ask your follow up question on the Roo forum. They'd be better able to help you.

Comment

private members in Java and AspectJ

Andrew, could you please clarify to what length my assumption above that private members in the itd-files being private also to the java source file that those very itd-files belong to is true?

After all, post-compilations all members from the Java source file and its corresponding AspectJ files end up in one java class file and all members there must be assumed to be reachable within this class, just as with regular java-files, no?
                    But while this is true this is not reflected within the crosscutting model? Is this because this model models the relationships between the Java and AspectJ constructs rather than reflecting the compiled java classes?

I suppose I'd know this if I had learned more about AspectJ. But I don't, thus my need to ask.

Comment

After all, post-compilations all members from the Java source file and its corresponding AspectJ files end up in one java class file and all members there must be assumed to be reachable within this class, just as with regular java-files, no?
                      Not exactly. ITD members are not pushed into the target type during compilation. Internally (and this is rather unimportant from a user's perspective), aspectj will create accessors with appropriate modifiers for all of its ITDs so that target types can reference them.

It is confusing to think of AspectJ as a pre-processor that simply adds a few extra members (for ITDs) and adds a few code instructions (for advice). Thinking this way, you will miss some subtleties of the language (such as access modifiers for ITDs). Rather, you should be thinking of AspectJ in terms of the aspects and crosscutting concerns (try to avoid the impulse to mentally perform weaving).

This is not an easy thing to do, and takes lots of practice with the language, so I am not faulting you. If you are interested in really learning to think in aspects, then I'd recommend AspectJ in Action (second edition).

ps- I'm not exactly sure if I answered your question. So, please rephrase if there's anything I didn't make clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
                        If you are interested in really learning to think in aspects, then I'd recommend AspectJ in Action (second edition).
                        I'm making a note of your suggestion and that title is certainly on my planned reading list, but I have 10 other titles in the loop ahead of this one.

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
                        ps- I'm not exactly sure if I answered your question. So, please rephrase if there's anything I didn't make clear.
                        I got the most relevant parts at least. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

There's a lot to get your head around with all the Spring and related projects – currently learning while developing with the core Framework, MVC, Web Flow, jspx, Tiles, log4j as well as JPA and Hibernate within the constraints and suggested practices by Roo – but I'm liking it more and more as I go along.
                        Last edited by MiB; Mar 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

The best way to learn is to dive right in.

Comment

Well, I'm currently quite submerged like a free diver.

Comment

Originally posted by delgad9 View Post
                              Hello Andrew,
                              In one of my many tries: I deactivate and active the JDT Weaving and suddenly started to work.
                              jD
                              Hi all,
                              I have solve this issue by this way.

Preferences -> JDT weaving -> Click on Reindex now

That has worked fine for me.

Saludos,
                              Ezequiel

Comment

Working...
                              X