X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot install Grails support in STS-2.3.3-M2

I tried installing grails extensions to STS-2.3.3-M2, and the process crapped out with the message

Code:
    An error occurred while unconfiguring the items to uninstall
    session context was:(profile=com.springsource.sts.ide, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Unconfigure, operand=[R]com.springsource.sts.package.feature.group 2.3.3.201007151000-M2 --> [R]com.springsource.sts.package.feature.group 2.5.0.201008251000-M3, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.RmdirAction).
    Could not remove directory C:\Tools\springsource\sts-2.3.3.M2/dropins.
    I forced the springsource directory and its children to be read-write (removed to read-only flag on some of the files), but that didn't help.

The install succeeded partially -- I have some of the grails menus available, but not others. For example, I cannot bring up the grails command window because the corresponding item is missing from the Navigate menu.

What to do?

Thanks,

Gene

Update Problems

I am getting the same error when I try to install the latest STS update. I have tracked it down to the installation of the SpringSource Tool Suite version 2.5.0.201008251000-M3.

I get the following error:

Code:
    An error occurred while unconfiguring the items to uninstall
    session context was:(profile=com.springsource.sts.ide, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Unconfigure, operand=[R]com.springsource.sts.package.feature.group 2.3.3.201007151000-M2 --> [R]com.springsource.sts.package.feature.group 2.5.0.201008251000-M3, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.RmdirAction).
    Could not remove directory /Users/john/Applications/SpringSource/sts-2.3.3.M2/dropins.
    I tried removing the dropins folder manually with no luck. I have stopped short of reinstalling STS.

I am on Mac 10.6.4

Comment

In general, STS must be installed in a writable directory. This is an Eclipse P2 bug, not STS. This is mostly an issue for installing extensions, but other things may not work either.

Gene, can you try uninstalling and reinstalling Grails tooling when logged in using admin privileges?

jmckind, it seems like you too should try the same thing. However, a better solution may be to move your STS install to a location writable by the current user.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
        In general, STS must be installed in a writable directory. This is an Eclipse P2 bug, not STS. This is mostly an issue for installing extensions, but other things may not work either.

Gene, can you try uninstalling and reinstalling Grails tooling when logged in using admin privileges?
        I do have admin privileges on my machine. I have the following groovy/grails pieces installed:
        Code:
        Grails (production release)	1.3.4	org.codehaus.grails.bundle.feature.group
        Groovy-Eclipse Feature	2.0.2.xx-20100826-1100-e36	org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.feature.feature.group
        Groovy-Eclipse JDT Patch Sources Feature	2.0.2.xx-20100826-1100-e36	org.codehaus.groovy.jdt.patch.source.feature.group
        Groovy-Eclipse Sources Feature	2.0.2.xx-20100826-1100-e36	org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.feature.source.feature.group
        What do you suggest I remove & reinstall? Will Update... work on any of this?

Thanks,

Gene

Comment

Did you install the grails tools support in addition to the production release of Grails? I do not see it in your list.

Comment

I do have it; I missed reporting it because its name didn't start with Groovy/Grails...

Code:
            SpringSource Tool Suite Grails Support	2.5.0.201008310801-CI-R5648-B65	com.springsource.sts.grails.feature.group

Comment

Then I'd recommend uninstalling Groovy-Eclipse (all 3 features), as well as the Grails tool support. And then use the extensions installer to re-install.

The reason why I asked earlier if you had write privileges to your install directory and if you were running as an admin is that the problem you describe is exactly what I would expect if you weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
                jmckind, it seems like you too should try the same thing. However, a better solution may be to move your STS install to a location writable by the current user.
                Thanks for the reply Andrew. STS is installed in my home directory, so the current user definitely has write access to that folder (I can delete the folder just fine). In addition, my problem is not with any of the extensions, it is the actual STS update that is failing.

Comment

I have the same issue -- I uninstalled and re-installed all the groovy and grails extensions, but the one thing that's failing (with the error in my first post) is the STS update. In addition, the grails sub-menu is missing from the Navigate menu. (This makes it difficult to actually run the Grails project!)

Gene

Comment

It does look like both of your problems are when upgrading from 2.3.3.M2 to 2.5.0.M3. Gene, even though you are not explicitly upgrading to M3, the latest version of the Grails tooling relies on M3, so that is forcing an update to 2.5.0.

It may be possible to work through this and figure out what the upgrade problem is, but at this point, it would probably take less time to simply download 2.5.0.M3 directly and by-pass upgrading.

http://www.springsource.com/developer/sts

Comment

Looks like what's not working is importing existing code and marking it as a grails project. When I create a new grails project, everything works fine; when I try to check out a project from SVN, the files are transferred, and I can execute the Configure > Convert to Grails project menu, but the grails-specific tools do not appear, and the system exhibits the same behavior as the 2.3.3 -> 2.5.0 upgrade.

Gene

Comment

OK. I know that we had that problem in the past, but thought it was fixed. This is something I can try out here.

Is that the only issue you are seeing? Or is there something additional?

Comment

Can't get past this problem because I can't run my code!

Comment

I was able to create a grails project on the command line and then import into STS. The project appears fine.

I was also able to create a grails project on the command line and then run the New Grails Project wizard, pointing at that directory. Again, everything runs fine.

It seems like you are extracting a project from svn, and then trying to convert it to a grails project. The project appears converted, but you cannot get the command prompt or any other grails-specific functionality to appear. Is this correct?

If so, make sure that the following natures (in the following order) are in your .project file:
                            Code:
                            <nature>com.springsource.sts.grails.core.nature</nature>
                            <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.groovy.core.groovyNature</nature>
                            <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
                            Also, make sure that Grails Dependency management is enabled for the project.

I'm having a deeper look at it right now...

Comment

Also, please check your error log to see if there are any relevant errors in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X