X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring IDE 1.2.3 installed, but no menu to add nature

This is with eclipse 3.1. The feature is there, and all the plugins are there. But no menu to add the nature. Any hints on how to debug would be appreciated.

-barry

While I can't seem to enable the nature, spring-ide does seem to be installed. When I open a context file in the xml editor, I get the following exception:

Code:
    java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    	at org.eclipse.wst.dtd.core.internal.contentmodel.CMDocumentFactoryDTD.createCMDocument(CMDocumentFactoryDTD.java:37)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.ContentModelManager.createCMDocument(ContentModelManager.java:56)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.modelqueryimpl.CMDocumentManagerImpl.buildCMDocument(CMDocumentManagerImpl.java:277)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.modelqueryimpl.CMDocumentManagerImpl$AsyncBuildOperation.run(CMDocumentManagerImpl.java:262)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.modelqueryimpl.CMDocumentManagerImpl$1.run(CMDocumentManagerImpl.java:228)
    	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:76)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: com.ibm.etools.dtd.impl.DTDPackageImpl
    	at org.eclipse.wst.dtd.core.internal.emf.impl.DTDPackageImpl.init(DTDPackageImpl.java:288)
    	at org.eclipse.wst.dtd.core.internal.contentmodel.DTDImpl.<clinit>&#40;DTDImpl.java&#58;72&#41;
    	... 6 more

Comment

I also get this message in the error log:

"Content Assist" did not complete normally. Please see the log for more information.

What log is this message refering to?

Comment

Re: Spring IDE 1.2.3 installed, but no menu to add nature

Originally posted by memelet
        This is with eclipse 3.1. The feature is there, and all the plugins are there. But no menu to add the nature. Any hints on how to debug would be appreciated.
        Barry,

ok, let's go:

1. Did you install Spring IDE as described here (and no messing with the zipped update site ;-))?

2. Is the "Add Spring project nature" context menu available in the resource explorer or JDT package explorer as described here?

3. Are there any suspicious messages in Eclipse's error log (Windows -> Show View - > Error Log)?

Cheers,
        Torsten

Comment

While I can't seem to enable the nature, spring-ide does seem to be installed. When I open a context file in the xml editor, I get the following exception:

Code:
          java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
          	at org.eclipse.wst.dtd.core.internal.contentmodel.CMDocumentFactoryDTD.createCMDocument&#40;CMDocumentFactoryDTD.java&#58;37&#41;
          	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.ContentModelManager.createCMDocument&#40;ContentModelManager.java&#58;56&#41;
          	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.modelqueryimpl.CMDocumentManagerImpl.buildCMDocument&#40;CMDocumentManagerImpl.java&#58;277&#41;
          	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.modelqueryimpl.CMDocumentManagerImpl$AsyncBuildOperation.run&#40;CMDocumentManagerImpl.java&#58;262&#41;
          	at org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.contentmodel.modelqueryimpl.CMDocumentManagerImpl$1.run&#40;CMDocumentManagerImpl.java&#58;228&#41;
          	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run&#40;Worker.java&#58;76&#41;
          Caused by&#58; java.lang.ClassCastException&#58; com.ibm.etools.dtd.impl.DTDPackageImpl
          	at org.eclipse.wst.dtd.core.internal.emf.impl.DTDPackageImpl.init&#40;DTDPackageImpl.java&#58;288&#41;
          	at org.eclipse.wst.dtd.core.internal.contentmodel.DTDImpl.<clinit>&#40;DTDImpl.java&#58;72&#41;
          	... 6 more
          This is an exception thrown by Web Tools which is associated with XML files by default. Spring IDE isn't involved here.

Looks like your Eclipse installation is messed up (ClassCastException with com.ibm.etools.dtd.impl.DTDPackageImpl). Did you install WST 0.7 and all it's dependencies correctly (Eclipse 3.1, GEF, EMF, JET)? Meaning, WST 0.7 requires specific versions of Eclipse, GEF, EMF and JET.

Torsten

Comment

What log is this message refering to?
            Eclipse's error log can be found via menu "Windows -> Show View - > Error Log".

Torsten

Comment

Originally posted by Torsten Juergeleit
              Looks like your Eclipse installation is messed up (ClassCastException with com.ibm.etools.dtd.impl.DTDPackageImpl). Did you install WST 0.7 and all it's dependencies correctly (Eclipse 3.1, GEF, EMF, JET)? Meaning, WST 0.7 requires specific versions of Eclipse, GEF, EMF and JET.
              I never did install WST. But I did install myeclipse 4.0. Probably that is causing me pain. I'll install the WST explicity and see if that helps.

Comment

1. Did you install Spring IDE as described here (and no messing with the zipped update site ;-))?

2. Is the "Add Spring project nature" context menu available in the resource explorer or JDT package explorer as described here?

3. Are there any suspicious messages in Eclipse's error log (Windows -> Show View - > Error Log)?
                Yes, I did follow those instructions (correctly I think). As for #2, no. For #3, only what I already posted, which as you pointed out is a WST error. However, this error only occurs when opening a spring config file.

I mentioned just a second ago that maybe it was myeclipse. Maybe, but when I get the exception above, its when I open the config using the standard eclipse xml editor (from WST?) not the myeclipse XML editor.

If I can't clear this up, I'll install a fresh eclipse and start with spring-ide.

thanks!!

Comment

Eclipse's error log can be found via menu "Windows -> Show View - > Error Log".
                  Sounded like a stupid question. I asked because it was from the error log where I read the message, so I thought maybe it was some other spring-ide log.

Comment

I never did install WST. But I did install myeclipse 4.0. Probably that is causing me pain. I'll install the WST explicity and see if that helps.
                    Myeclipse 4.0 ships with an older, modified version of Spring IDE. They changed the plugins' version number to 3.x.x. So you are not able to use plain Spring IDE because it's plugins have a lower version number.

More details can be found in Spring IDE's FAQ http://springide.org/project/wiki/Sp...the-spring-ide

Maybe Myeclipse 4.0 ships with an outdated / modified version of Web Tools too.

IMHO using Myeclipse with plain Spring IDE and Web Tools isn't possible. You will have to wait for a new version of Myeclipse which ships with a newer version of Spring IDE / Web Tools or delete the corresponding plugins from the Myeclipse installation manually.

Torsten

Comment

I mentioned just a second ago that maybe it was myeclipse. Maybe, but when I get the exception above, its when I open the config using the standard eclipse xml editor (from WST?) not the myeclipse XML editor.
                      There's no "standard eclipse xml editor" built into plain Eclipse. You have to install an XML editor separately, e.g. Web Tools (aka WST) or XmlBuddy. Myeclipse ships with a version of WST (maybe not 0.7 as required for Spring IDE 1.2.3).

Torsten

Comment

I installed a fresh eclipse 3.1, then a fresh WPT, and then a fresh Spring IDE. And this time Spring IDE seems to be fully functional. Now I will start adding the rest of my plugins and see who the culprit is!

thanks again!

Comment

Well, it didn't take long. The very first plugin I tried was MyEclipse. And sure enough, no more Spring IDE. Lots of errors logged, mainly centered around complaints that GEF 3.1 was already installed.

Then when I try to disable myeclipse I cannot, instead getting an error message indicating that uninstalling would invalidate the current configuration (my eclipse would try also to uninstall EMF which is required by WTP plugins.)

I like myeclipse, but they always seem to screw up my configuration. I'm going to just use WTP for a bit and see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                          X