Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sts 2.3.2 groovy support installing problem

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows Vista home premium (32bit, SP2).

I've been using STS 2.3.0 with Groovy/Grails support for a while and consider it to be very useful for grails projects development.

But lastly my sts cannot update some of its features cause sts 2.3.1 is required.
    So I decided to download sts 2.3.2. Unzipped the file and ran it. Then tried to install grails support and Groovy eclipse from the Extensions tab of the dashboard.
    But as far as Groovy eclipse I always get the same error (paste it from the Error Log):

eclipse.buildId=2.3.2.201003230009-RELEASE
    java.version=1.6.0_12
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=it_IT
    Framework arguments: -product com.springsource.sts.ide
    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product com.springsource.sts.ide

Error
    Thu Apr 29 11:23:50 CEST 2010
    An error occurred while uninstalling

Here are some further description by the Error Log:

java.version=1.6.0_12
    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product com.springsource.sts.ide

Error
    String index out of range: 0

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 0
    at java.lang.String.charAt(String.java:687)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.ParserUtils.getValueForArgument(ParserUtils.java :124)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EclipseLauncherParser.getStartup(EclipseLauncher Parser.java:224)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EclipseLauncherParser.read(EclipseLauncherParser .java:59)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EquinoxManipulatorImpl.loadWithoutFwPersistentDa ta(EquinoxManipulatorImpl.java:358)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EquinoxManipulatorImpl.load(EquinoxManipulatorIm pl.java:331)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .LazyManipulator.loadDelegate(LazyManipulator.java :50)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .LazyManipulator.getConfigData(LazyManipulator.jav a:108)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .actions.UninstallBundleAction.uninstallBundle(Uni nstallBundleAction.java:74)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .actions.UninstallBundleAction.execute(UninstallBu ndleAction.java:29)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Parameteriz edProvisioningAction.execute(ParameterizedProvisio ningAction.java:35)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .Phase.mainPerform(Phase.java:129)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .Phase.perform(Phase.java:72)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .PhaseSet.perform(PhaseSet.java:44)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .Engine.perform(Engine.java:54)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ope rations.ProvisioningUtil.performProvisioningPlan(P rovisioningUtil.java:389)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ope rations.ProfileModificationOperation.doExecute(Pro fileModificationOperation.java:61)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ope rations.ProvisioningOperation.execute(Provisioning Operation.java:37)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.Pro visioningOperationRunner$1.run(ProvisioningOperati onRunner.java:94)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.j ava:55)

java.version=1.6.0_12

Error
    session context wasprofile=com.springsource.sts.ide, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2. engine.phases.Uninstall, operand=[R]org.eclipse.jdt.core 3.5.2.v_981_R35x --> null, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint. eclipse.actions.UninstallBundleAction).

I don't know what to do. I read that a problem could be the UAC of Windows but I deactivated it a long time ago.
    Don't even want to use windows installer version (...didn't try it indeed..).
    As a matter of fact everything worked so fine with STS 2.3.0 so I don't understand the reason why it shouldn't with 2.3.2.
    Please help.

Thank you all in advance.
    Bye.

ps. ..apologies about my english

Not exactly sure what your problem is, but you can try installing the nightly build instead (don't worry, it is stable...we haven't made many changes recently).

Go to your update manager:

Help -> Install new Software...

And then add the following update site:

http://dist.codehaus.org/groovy/dist...snapshot/e3.5/

Uncheck 'Contact all update sites..."

And install the required features from the new update site.

Please let me know if this helps you.

Comment

First of all thank you so much for replying me.

I tried the solution you suggested.
      But unfortunately it didn't work. It said that the repository was duplicated.
      So i deactivated the 'Groovy Update' that was already present and tried to do what you suggested.

But I got the same issue.

By the way I tried to install sts 2.3.1 on another machine (another Windows Vista Home Premium but without SP) but I got the same issue there too. I can't understand. Really. I'm very sutisfied by sts 2.3. But some of its updates aren't available anymore.
      Cannot believe that sts 2.3.1, 2.3.2 cannot be installed on a Vista os. This isn't probably the main problem. And then I didn't find on google anyone complaining about it. It's too weired....

Please tell me what i can do to give you some more information to understand the problem.

thank you.

Comment

Hmmm...

This does sound a little strange. Here are some more things that you can try:
        • Try doing the install under a fresh, empty workspace. Same problem?
        • Make sure that your Eclipse install directory is writable by the current user (otherwise Eclipse tries to make a temporary location for installing the new plugins, which causes all sorts of problems).
        • There is a small, small chance that you are not able to download the xml descriptor properly. (I just installed this myself, so it is unlikely to be a general problem). So, you can download a zip of the update site and install from there. To do this:
          1. Download the latest from http://ci.repository.codehaus.org/gr...pshot/e35/old/
          2. Point your p2 update manager to this archive file
          3. Try the install.

If this doesn't work for you please paste all relevant error logs (they may be slightly different than what you pasted before).

Comment

no way........

Hi Andrew,
          I'm grateful to you for trying to help me.
          I've tried all the solutions you suggested....but no way..Cannot solve anything.
          I'm very amazed.
          Tried the empty workspace solution 20 times.
          Tried to change 'read only' option on the sts folder and subdirectories (but Vista still turns it back to read only all the times...???).
          Downloaded and tried to install the features from the zip....
          But there's no way.
          All the times the same message (I did not note any difference from the previous ones but paste for safety).

Session data:

java.version=1.6.0_12

String index out of range: 0

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 0
          at java.lang.String.charAt(String.java:687)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.ParserUtils.getValueForArgument(ParserUtils.java :124)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EclipseLauncherParser.getStartup(EclipseLauncher Parser.java:224)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EclipseLauncherParser.read(EclipseLauncherParser .java:59)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EquinoxManipulatorImpl.loadWithoutFwPersistentDa ta(EquinoxManipulatorImpl.java:358)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equino x.EquinoxManipulatorImpl.load(EquinoxManipulatorIm pl.java:331)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .LazyManipulator.loadDelegate(LazyManipulator.java :50)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .LazyManipulator.getConfigData(LazyManipulator.jav a:108)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .actions.UninstallBundleAction.uninstallBundle(Uni nstallBundleAction.java:74)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse .actions.UninstallBundleAction.execute(UninstallBu ndleAction.java:29)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Parameteriz edProvisioningAction.execute(ParameterizedProvisio ningAction.java:35)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .Phase.mainPerform(Phase.java:129)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .Phase.perform(Phase.java:72)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .PhaseSet.perform(PhaseSet.java:44)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine .Engine.perform(Engine.java:54)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ope rations.ProvisioningUtil.performProvisioningPlan(P rovisioningUtil.java:389)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ope rations.ProfileModificationOperation.doExecute(Pro fileModificationOperation.java:61)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ope rations.ProvisioningOperation.execute(Provisioning Operation.java:37)
          at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.Pro visioningOperationRunner$1.run(ProvisioningOperati onRunner.java:94)
          at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.j ava:55)

session context wasprofile=com.springsource.sts.ide, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2. engine.phases.Uninstall, operand=[R]org.eclipse.jdt.core 3.5.2.v_981_R35x --> null, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint. eclipse.actions.UninstallBundleAction).

Don't know what to do.
          I only have two Vista machines, tried and failed the installation on the both of them. Worst to it, two days ago I tried to unzip and use sts 2.3.2 on two pc with Windows 7 installed. And everything was ok. There have been no issues about grails/groovy support.
          Why? Where did I go wrong????????????
          If you say that there's no issue on Vista, as far as sts 2.3.2 is concerned, so ...once again.....Where did I go wrong????????????

Thank you the same.
          Bye.

Comment

Working...
          X