Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 2.3.2 & m2eclipse - nearing tears

m2Eclipse in my STS 2.3.2 seems broken. I have been reduced to doing this:

Delete my local Maven installation and repository. Delete my STS 2.3.2 installation (which took long enough to create with hibernate tools plugins and Flash Builder and several other things I use).

Install a squeaky clean STS 2.3.2. Looks like it has a Maven Runtime: Embedded (3.0-SNAPSHOT/0.10.0.20100209-800). Nothing else added to STS.

Start STS.

Create a simple maven project from the simplest maven web-app archetype.

So far so good. There is a .pom with one dependency (JUnit) the JUnit .jar shows up fine in the project's "Maven Dependencies" library and Maven has started to build my local repository again.

Open the .pom editor. Go to Dependencies tab. Add dependency button...

What shows up? The "Select Dependency" dialog of course. But now the problems start: Add something to the filter area and the damn thing filters for .poms only! I.e. Exactly the same behavior as if you "Navigate->Open Maven POM..." and you get the Search Maven POM dialogue.

Same thing happens if I right click a .pom and do "Add Dependency" from there.

HOWEVER, if I edit a dependency right in to the .pom it works "fine" - files downloaded to my local repository and show up in the projects "Maven Dependencies" library.

Also the Navigate->Open Type From Maven is broken.

I do not have a lot of hair, but what I have has turned gray and I am pulling it out. I assume I have done something really stupid - but what?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Ted

Ted,

this is because in STS we disable downloading of Maven's repository index on startup. This index is needed to execute the searching functionalities.

We disabled the download because a lot of people were suffering from this behavior.

Certainly you can enable the download, and therefore get back this functionality, from the Maven preferences. Go Preferences -> Maven -> Download repository index on startup and restart STS to trigger the download. After the download has finished you should be able to search again.

Hope this helps and sorry for the pain.

Christian

Comment

Problem solved

Hi Christian:

Thank you for the solution. I don't know how I could have missed it in the documentation, but that's history now.

On the whole, thanks for bringing such and excellent tool for use for free to the community and answering questions when needed (desperately in this case).

Ted

P.S. I am the type that downloads source and JavaDocs too, so I don't mind the extra time on start up.

Comment

Hi Christian,

I'm having the same issue reported by Ted with the Navigate->Open Type From Maven menu.
        I've tried several class search strings, like:
        *StringUtil*, *ApplicationContext*, *Transactional*
        I only get "Results for '*<string-searched>*' (0)

POM and Dependency searches work fine. The issue appears to be just in the Search Class in Maven window.
        I went to Preferences -> Maven -> Download repository index on startup and restarted STS. I can see the download of the index taking place, and I also can expand in the Maven Repositories view --> Global Repositories the central repo and see its contents.

Any logs or troubleshooting steps that you could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried STS 2.3.1, 2.3.2 on both Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6.3 Carbon version. STS 2.3.0 works fine.

Thanks,
        -Roberto

Comment

M2Eclipse

Hi:

I have not solved this problem either. I suspect it is an M2Eclipse issue but I got no help there either.

Ted

Comment

One possible workaround

Hi Ted,
            You're right. Here is a JIRA issue I found on the topic: MNGECLIPSE-2130
            Unfortunately, the workaround requires enabling a Full Index of the Remote Repository, which could be time and bandwidth consuming.
            It worked for me against central. I'll try it out against the company's nexus server to see if I get the same behavior.

Thanks,
            - Roberto

Comment

Workaournd against Nexus

FYI...

The above workaround works fine against Nexus Professional 1.3.3.

Thanks,
              - Roberto

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Dupuis View Post
                Ted,

this is because in STS we disable downloading of Maven's repository index on startup. This index is needed to execute the searching functionalities.

We disabled the download because a lot of people were suffering from this behavior.

Certainly you can enable the download, and therefore get back this functionality, from the Maven preferences. Go Preferences -> Maven -> Download repository index on startup and restart STS to trigger the download. After the download has finished you should be able to search again.

Hope this helps and sorry for the pain.

Christian
                Christian, what do you mean by "a lot of people were suffering from this behavior"?
                Is there a JIRA ticket or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by lsiu View Post
                  Christian, what do you mean by "a lot of people were suffering from this behavior"?
                  Is there a JIRA ticket or something like that?
                  I was wondering the exact same thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X