Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS License has changed??

Guys,

Can someone help me understand the material impact of the license change that I have noticed?

In the 2.3.0.RELEASE version that I use, Part I (License Grant) says
    ... to use the Product and Materials solely for Licensee's internal business operations, development, evaluation, and educational purposes ("Permitted Uses").
    In the most recent version, the verbiage has changed in Part II (LICENSE GRANT, USE AND OWNERSHIP ) to
    ... to use the Software in accordance with the Documentation solely for non-production purposes of Licensee's internal business operations, development, evaluation, and education, ...
    Here on this post, http://blog.springsource.com/2009/05...uite-now-free/, Christian Dupuis says:
    We got some questions about what “free" in the context of STS actually means. So let me try to explain: Firstly starting with version 2.0.2.RELEASE, STS is available at no cost and free for all development purposes; no strings attached. It is licensed under a commercial license, which you can review here.
    Seems too many conflicting ideas exist here.
    Christian D, can you explain better? Has the "no strings attached" sales pitch been scaled back to include a few strings?

Thanks!
    Christian Posta

Hi Christian,

my statement is still true. The license allows you to use STS in a "non-production" environment. In the context of STS the term "non-production" is a bit pointless as I've never seen anybody running an IDE in their production system; as its sole purpose is to support the developer during development.

The "non-production" restriction only makes sense when knowing that we use the same license of SpringSource tc Server Developer Edition.

HTH

Christian
    Last edited by Christian Dupuis; Apr 14th, 2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Yes! Helps a lot!
      Thanks,
      Christian

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Dupuis View Post
        Hi Christian,

my statement is still true. The license allows you to use STS in a "non-production" environment. In the context of STS the term "non-production" is a bit pointless as I've never seen anybody running an IDE in their production system; as its sole purpose is to support the developer during development.

The "non-production" restriction only makes sense when knowing that we use the same license of SpringSource tc Server Developer Edition.

HTH

Christian
        Thanks for the response, I have been wondering this as well, it was not totally clear to me. I looked at the forum FAQ post and this was not clarified there.

Comment

Can I use STS with other container like JBoss or tomcat?

Comment

Absolutely yes! STS is there to support developers while creating Spring-based applications regardless to where you deploy these apps.

Regards, Christian

Comment

Working...
            X