Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS and tcServer reloading upon JSP change

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my version of Spring STS and tcServer etc.

So my environment uses all the new versions of tcServer, STS etc.

But I have noticed an annoying issue with my tcServer deployment.

After starting tcServer (through Eclipse Server management) if I make any changes to JSP files it causes my whole web application to reload which is annoying.

In the previous version of STS with tcServer it didn't suffer from this problem.

When looking at the server properties I have made sure that:

'Enable controlled reload' is ticked under the 'Reload behaviour' heading but it still attempts to reload.

Within that section it states:

(Requires auto reload to be disable to take effect)

Does this mean that I have to have reloadable set to false for my Module? If so I have this set.

Or does this mean something else?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

Eggsy

Did you find a solution to this. This also happens to me. It is really annoying. In save a jsp/css/add image/etc it does a publish and forces a restart.

I have been playing with configuration, new workspaces, etc to try to eliminate the issue, but I either get a full publish and restart or 'Failed to publish'.

Any ideas?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by eggsy84 View Post
      Hi all,
      When looking at the server properties I have made sure that:

'Enable controlled reload' is ticked under the 'Reload behaviour' heading but it still attempts to reload.

Within that section it states:

(Requires auto reload to be disable to take effect)

Does this mean that I have to have reloadable set to false for my Module? If so I have this set.
      Yes, in order to take advantage of the controlled reload you need to disable automatic reloading for that module, otherwise the application may get reloaded multiple times by STS and tc Server if a class or library changes.

I was not able to reproduce this problem with STS 2.3.3.M2 and the included tc Server Developer Edition 2.0.0.SR01. It would help if you could provide more information about your environment or possible share a small sample project to reproduce this. Are you using the Eclipse 3.5 or 3.6 based STS? Does the project have dependent projects? Does it use Maven for dependency management? Is *.jsp listed as a pattern under Reload Behavior in the server editor?

Thanks.

Steffen

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by dmfrey View Post
        I have been playing with configuration, new workspaces, etc to try to eliminate the issue, but I either get a full publish and restart or 'Failed to publish'.
        Is an error printed to the console or STS error log (Window > Show View > Other > Error Log) in case of a publishing failure? If so, it would be helpful if you could file a bug and paste any errors and we'll investigate: https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS .

Thanks.

Steffen

Comment

Workaround

Hi there,

Yeah in terms of my workaround I have setup my server as so:

----
          Double click the Server in STS to bring up the configuration.
          Click the Modules tab and Edit your Web app module.
          Make sure 'Auto reload' is disabled.

Then back on the 'Overview' tab I have the following config:

Publishing - Set to automatically publish when resources change
          Reload behaviour - Disable 'Enable controlled reload....'
          ----

This then allows me to edit the JSP files whilst the app is running and see the changes.

Assuming the cache is cleared of course (shakes fist at Internet Explorer)

Eggsy

Comment

Working...
          X