X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice sought on STS install on a MacBook

I just purchased new 2.66gz MacBook Pro with 4gig memory and a 250gig hard drive.

I have never used a Mac before.

I have experience installing STS in Ubuntu under VMWare Workstation, so Unix is not an issue for me.

The Spring STS download page wants me to decide between these download options:
    Code:
    Mac OS X (Carbon)	springsource-tool-suite-2.3.0.RELEASE-e3.5.1-macosx-carbon-installer.dmg	
    Mac OS X (Carbon)	springsource-tool-suite-2.3.0.RELEASE-e3.5.1-macosx-carbon.tar.gz	
    Mac OS X (Cocoa)*	springsource-tool-suite-2.3.0.RELEASE-e3.5.1-macosx-cocoa-installer.dmg	
    Mac OS X (Cocoa)*	springsource-tool-suite-2.3.0.RELEASE-e3.5.1-macosx-cocoa.tar.gz	
    Mac OS X (Cocoa, 64bit)*	springsource-tool-suite-2.3.0.RELEASE-e3.5.1-macosx-cocoa-x86_64-installer.dmg	
    Mac OS X (Cocoa, 64bit)*	springsource-tool-suite-2.3.0.RELEASE-e3.5.1-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz
    Will chose (32 bit Cocoa) based on the advice in this post: http://blog.zvikico.com/2009/06/ecli...or-carbon.html

The STS install is proceeding exactly the same as it does in Ubuntu. It's suggesting the following location for the STS workspace:

/Users/rdg/Documents/workspace-sts-2.3.0.RELEASE

I wonder what most people actually use here, or if most people take the default.

I decided to use: /Users/rdg/Documents/wsSts

Then on "Extensions" page I told it up install: 1) Grails; 2) Groovy-Eclipse Feature; 3) Spring Roo (prod release); and 4) STS Grails Support;

Sts seems to work okay. At least, a test Java project compiles okay. It's faster than it was on Ubuntu under VM under WinDoz.

Have just set up Time Capsule and the first Time Machine Backup has begun. I set Time Machine to exclude backing up the "Downloads". Am guessing that's how most people do it since that makes sense.

It amazes me that this new MacBook Pro as soon as I turned it on had Maven 2.2. installed and ready to use. Who would have thought Apple was so in touch with the java community that they even preinstall Maven on new laptops.

I still have not been able to figure out how to show hidden files in the home directory. Still don't know what Unix shell this MacBook Pro is using. I will need to configure ROO_HOME etc. Does anyone know where to do that on a Mac?

Robert
    Last edited by RobertGloverJr; Mar 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM.
Working...
X