X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10, STS, and SVN

I discovered a crash scenario on Ubuntu 9.10, STS, and the SVN implementation available in Ubuntu 9.10. Specifically when I install the CollabNet SVN extension via the Spring Dashboard, the only SVN adapter available is the JavaHL JNI wrapper. Of course, Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't come with SVN pre-instaleld so after installing the Java binding to it, this would now work with checkouts. However, it would crash on every check in (I'm guessing this is more of an Ubuntu or JavaHL bug than an STS bug).

The way I got around this problem was to remove the STS-extension for CollabNet and go directly to Subclipse and pull down the SVNKit (Pure Java) SVN client, which solved the crashing problem.

It would be nice if the Spring distribution of CollabNet included the SVNKit SVN Client (for one, it's non-stop shopping for using SVN, and second to work around any JNI issues on specific platforms/versions).

A couple other of fun things on Ubuntu:
    - Alt+Click on Ubuntu is used for window dragging, you need to goto System -> Preferences -> Windows to change the hot key for this (ie. Ctrl or the windows-logo key on your keyboard). Without doing this, navigating the task-oriented mylyn views doesn't work with alt+click.

- This is likely just a Mylyn issue, but the refactoring/move of a file while in a task-oriented view (ie. renaming a package or even moving one Java class to another package) gets to 99.% on the progress bar, and then Ubuntu bows-out and never regains focus on the window. The eclipse process is idle and never comes back. Killing Eclipse and restarting STS shows that everything completed as expected, which makes me think the bug happened in the Mylyn re-draw of the Project Explorer to show the new package/file. I have not tried to reproduce on vanilla Eclipse or non-Ubuntu systems, though I seem to remember from last year that Mylyn has some quirks with the task-oriented view and the Eclipse refactoring tools.

Originally posted by Jabberz View Post
    It would be nice if the Spring distribution of CollabNet included the SVNKit SVN Client (for one, it's non-stop shopping for using SVN, and second to work around any JNI issues on specific platforms/versions).
    Spring links to the CollabNet site for installing the CollabNet distribution and we do not provide SVNKit with our distribution.

The issue you are having with JavaHL is a bug in Subversion 1.6. A workaround for the problem exists in the Subclipse JavaHL FAQ:

http://subclipse.tigris.org/wiki/Jav...645f1d77d95b32

Thanks

Mark

Comment

I had the same problem, couldn't get it to work with the solution proposed above. But found if I install the SVNKit libraries from the subclipse update site I can use that.

Comment

Originally posted by smozely View Post
        I had the same problem, couldn't get it to work with the solution proposed above. But found if I install the SVNKit libraries from the subclipse update site I can use that.
        In my experience, the crash problem is always caused by the details in the link I provided. That said, no real details on the crash were provided.

I assume you followed the steps to edit the ~/.subversion/config file? Maybe double-check that you did not have a relevant part commented out. Also, in Subclipse preferences there is an option for Configuration Location. I just assume most people have this set to "Use default", which means it uses the SVN default of ~/.subversion. However, it is possible for that to be overridden to a different path, in which case you have to edit the config file in that location.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X