Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Uninstall SpringSource Tool Suite (STS)?

In Ubuntu my usual way of "uninstalling" STS is deleting the "springsource" directory.

In Windows I'm looking for the uninstall entry but it's not there.

Is "deleting the folder" is supposed to be the proper way to uninstall STS? I think a proper uninstall functionality should be added.

Is "deleting the folder" is supposed to be the proper way to uninstall STS? I think a proper uninstall functionality should be added.
    Although it is sad to hear that you want to uninstall STS, it is enough to just delete the springsource folder. If you opted to create start menu shortcuts during installation you can delete those as well.

The installer does not add or install anything outside the springsource folder and start menu shortcuts (no Registry entries, etc).

Please open a JIRA for adding the uninstaller.

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Dupuis View Post
      Although it is sad to hear that you want to uninstall STS, it is enough to just delete the springsource folder. If you opted to create start menu shortcuts during installation you can delete those as well.

The installer does not add or install anything outside the springsource folder and start menu shortcuts (no Registry entries, etc).

Please open a JIRA for adding the uninstaller.

Christian
      Christian,

Uninstalling STS (2.2.1) was only half of the story, the other half is installing STS 2.3.0. In fact STS is my favorite Java IDE. :-)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure if the marginal improvement of an uninstaller is worth it, but I think it'd be great if the README mentions explicitly that "uninstallation is easy".

A much more desirable feature would be one installation package for all platforms. I routinely download 2 STS versions, Linux's and Windows'. I don't really understand why there can't be just one version, since it's all Java and it basically unpacks a zip to a folder.
      Last edited by ceefour; Jan 8th, 2010, 01:59 AM. Reason: Added smiley to cheer up the mood.

Comment

A much more desirable feature would be one installation package for all platforms. I routinely download 2 STS versions, Linux's and Windows'. I don't really understand why there can't be just one version, since it's all Java and it basically unpacks a zip to a folder.
        That would indeed be fantastic. If you take a close look, STS is different for the various platforms as Eclipse uses platform-dependend components for e.g. security, file system handling and SWT.

I'll look into this and see if we can separate the differences and add them during installation.

Chrisitan

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Dupuis View Post
          That would indeed be fantastic. If you take a close look, STS is different for the various platforms as Eclipse uses platform-dependend components for e.g. security, file system handling and SWT.

I'll look into this and see if we can separate the differences and add them during installation.

Chrisitan
          Although I'm not familiar with Eclipse development, there is something called Eclipse delta pack

the delta pack is a zip file provided by the Eclipse Platform and it is used for developing RCP applications for multiple platforms. The delta pack archive contains all the platform specific fragments from the Eclipse SDK. It also includes a feature "org.eclipse.equinox.executable" which contains binary launchers for all the platforms.
          So it seems it's possible to export an Eclipse product (like STS) to multiple platforms at once. Whether doing this with a complex product like STS is feasible, you smart SpringSource guys know much better. :-)

Comment

Working...
          X