Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGTS will not work after computer re-image

Hi everyone,
    I am new here; relatively new, but not completely new to Groovy, Grails and the GGTS; and not new to Java programming. I
    installed the GGTS on the PC I am currently using, but when it was a 32 bit Win XP Pro OS, and it worked fine. Since then my
    PC was re-imaged to Win7 Pro 64 bit OS. I have been continuously using 32 bit Java (currently version 6_45 with no problems,
    and I have Grails-2.2.3 and it too seems to be working fine. However, the GGTS 3.3.0 stopped working immediately after the
    re-image; and when I removed it and installed the GGTS v3.5.0 it still will not work. I have since tried v3.5.1 and it does not work
    either. What happens is that, when I click to start the IDE immediately after the install is finished (which, BTW, appears to install
    just fine) I get the splash screen for about 15 seconds, and then a message box pops up saying that there is a problem and to
    view the xxxx.log file. In the logfile is the stack-trace, but I can't make sense of it ... it usually ends up with something about
    not being able to allocate an XML parser. Is this due to the fact that I should be using all 64 bit software? ... because I'd have
    to install 64 bit Java, Grails and finally the GGTS if that is the case. Can anyone please help, please, as I've been trying to
    get this to work now for days, checking all my environmental settings, removing and re-installing with various settings and
    to various places all to no avail. Thank you.

~Bill

Attachment http://forum.spring.io/filedata/fetch?filedataid=5934

Comment

http://forum.spring.io/filedata/fetch?filedataid=5934

Comment

I am attempting to add a jpeg file of the popup error. The actual stack trace pieces are:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.registry 4 0 2014-05-23 14:46:35.594
        !MESSAGE Could not parse XML contribution for "org.eclipse.wst.html.ui.infopop//plugin.xml". Any contributed extensions and extension
        points will be ignored.
        !STACK 0
        org.xml.sax.SAXException: Could not acquire XML parsing service.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2014-05-23 14:46:37.111
        !MESSAGE Application error
        !STACK 1
        org.osgi.service.application.ApplicationException: No application id has been found.

Comment

Hey!

The error log indicates that something broke your installation of GGTS. Usually it should not be affected by a switch of the underlying OS as long as you run STS/GGTS in the same 32/64bit version as the JDK is that you are using. So if the underlying JDK got changed to a 64bit version, you have to switch to a 64bit GGTS version as well. But you can continue to run GGTS for 32bit (on a 64bit system) as long as you run it using a 32bit JDK. But this mismatch would cause a different error to show up, therefore it looks like the re-imaging of your machine broke something else with the installation.

I would suggest to install a 64bit JDK, download a 64bit version of GGTS, and install this as a fresh copy. Take care to not install that into the "Program Files" area of your system (that would cause major issues while running GGTS). This lets you start with a fresh install on a clean overall 64bit system, which I would recommend.

HTH,
          Martin

Comment

• abillconsl
            abillconsl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Martin,

Just to be clear, I had the v6_31 32bit JDK at the time of the re-image. I continued to use that afterward with no noticable problems with Java. I upgraded to 32bit v6_45 around the time of all the security mumbo-jumbo with Java a few months back. None of this had any affect, positive or negative on how the GGTS worked ... it was broken asof the re-image and has remained so, no matter how many times I've uninstalled and re-installed it. So you are thinking similarly to me ... go to 64bit.

Hey!

Are you saying that re-installing the 32bit GGTS version did not solve the issue for you? From the error it looked like something in the GGTS installation was corrupted and that would have been solved by a fresh installation (no matter whether 32bit or 64bit). But anyway, using a 64bit version of everything (JDK and GGTS) is definitely a good way to go.

HTH,
          Martin

Comment

• abillconsl
            abillconsl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I had version 3.3.0. I deleted the folder and re-installed it (I had the installer). N/G
            Then I downloaded the version 3.5.0, deleted the springsource folder again and installed v3.5.0. N/G
            Then I did same again. N/G
            Then I downloaded the v3.5.1, deleted the springsource folder and installed that new version. N/G
            All together I deleted and re-installed the three versions at least 2X each I think, trying Java v1.6_31 and v1.6_45. Never a go.

I would try the 64 bit stuff, but I have everything else working fine (including command line Grails) with 32bit and really not in the mood for upsetting the applecart if I don't absolutely have to.

Thank you,

~Bill

Hey!

I totally understand that you would like to avoid a full switch over to 64bit. I don't understand yet why the re-image of your machine is causing this issue even with a fresh install of STS. Can you post the pull log file content somewhere for me to take a look at? The one that is mentioned in the error dialog that is showing up. Maybe I can find something in there.

In addition to that you could try to launch Eclipse/GGTS with the "-clean" option.
          Also make sure you have GGTS installed in an area where you have full access to (not the "Program Files" directory which is problematic for apps like GGTS/STS/Eclipse).

I also found this:
          https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=318046

Which indicates that this could be caused by strange libraries and entries in the extensions area of your JDK. Maybe that changed with the re-imaging of your machine?

HTH,
          Martin

Comment

• abillconsl
            abillconsl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. You might have hit on something there with the ext folder. I have a lot of stuff there. I might have made a mistake with something after the re-image. I have these ... anything ring a bell? ...

dnsns.jar
            jlfgr-1_0.jar
            junit381src.jar
            ldapsec.jar
            localedata.jar
            mysql-connector-java-3.0.15-ga-bin.jar
            ojdbc14.jar
            QTJava.zip
            sunjce_provider.jar
            sunmscapi.jar
            sunpkcs11.jar
            xercesImpl.jar

Hey!

I have no idea what should be in that folder, but xercesImpl.jar could be related to the Eclipse/STS/GGTS issue.

All the other stuff looks useless as well, but I don't know what else you are using this JDK for, so I don't know what the side effect would be if you would remove just everything.

Cheers,
          -Martin

Comment

Thanks, I read the link you published and I am going to do a test regarding the ext folders. There are three and I have the same stuff in all three ...
            the v1.6_31 jdk - jre - lib - ext, the v1.6_45 jdk - jre - lib - ext and the jre6 - lib - ext. That URL brought back to mind something from another
            problem in this regard that removing something from there helped (though I can't remember what - it was years ago) so I will test it. Regards,

~Bill

Comment

Let us know if that solves the issues.

Cheers,
              -Martin

Comment

• abillconsl
                abillconsl commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh absolutely!

That did it! It opened up. Thank you very much, I do appreciate your help! So just to confirm - it was something in the jre/lib/ext folder.
              I will be putting things back to try to determine which item/s caused the conflict and I will let you know what I find out.

~Bill

Comment

I put everything back in all three places and so far it still works; so it must have only interfered during the installation. I will report back any
                further problems if/when they occur and will also let you know if none occur. Thanks again,

~Bill

Comment

Hey Bill,

glad to hear you got it working again and thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,
                  -Martin

Comment

Working...
                  X