Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vm crash with STS 2.2.1

Hi there,

I have been using the sts 2.2.1 for some time, when suddenly and for no apparent reason I got a jvm terminated Exit code=-1.

Looking around google this seemed to be an issue with eclipse and some versions of JVM, but I do not recall updating the jvm, and none of the suggested fixes helped.

I re-installed the JDK 1.6.0_17, and the STS tools but still had the problem.

java -version reports: 1.6.0_17.

Launching another small application using: javaw -XX:MaxPerSize=256m -Xms40m -Xmx768m -jat testapp.jar ran no problem.

So I looked into the STS.ini, and eventually found that removing these lines ( just after the -showsplash) allowed the STS to launch:

com.springsource.sts
    --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
    256M

I have two questions:

1) Is it harmful to the STS tool suite to remove these?

2) Is there a better/official fix to this problem?

Regards,

Jeremy.

Jeremy,

you can safely remove those entries from the STS.ini. What operating system are you running?

Christian

Comment

Hi Christian,

Thanks, just wanted to be sure it was OK.

Im running:

Windows XP, professional 2002 service pack 2

Dual core CPU, with 3.72GB RAM

Regards,

Jeremy.

Comment

I also got this problem with "jvm terminated Exit code =-1" when trying to start
        springsource tool suite 2.3.0, and by googling for the problem I found this post.
        However, the above solution did not work for me, i.e. removing the three mentioned lines in STS.ini did not help.

The solution for me, which made it possible to start STS was to add " -Xmx256M" at the same row of the line with -vmargs.

In other words, the initial STS.ini which did not work had the following content:
        com.springsource.sts.ide
        --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
        256M
        -vmargs
        -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5

But when I changed to the following, it did work:
        com.springsource.sts.ide
        --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
        256M
        -vmargs -Xmx256M
        -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5

This solution of mine was pure luck, i.e. I just tried something that turned out to work, and I got the idea by some more googling which lead me to this page:
        http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I..._to_Eclipse%3F
        which suggests "The arguments after -vmargs are directly passed to the VM"
        so that was why I added it on the same row instead of having the Xmx configuration at another place in the file.

I hope that someone else will get help from this solution, which worked for me, but it would indeed be even better if some of the STS developers (with more knowledge about the configuration file content) could provide a better and more official solution, and a better default configuration file which will not cause this problem with "jvm terminated Exit code =-1".

Regading my envinronment, when I got his problem, I have Windows XP, Service Pack 3, and CPU Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.00 GHZ and 3,25 GB RAM.

/ Tom

Comment

Working...
        X