X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple newbie question

i'm using the eclipse ide(no source control or anything). the problem i'm having is when i add a simple file, jsp, text, .java whatever to the project it's not being added to the workspace folder and thus not being picked up by my build script. how do you add a new file to a project and have it REALLY a part of the project (ie, so i can browse the file system though explorer and see the new file in my workspace/project folders). even when i shut down eclipse i can still see the file in my hirearchy in eclipse, but not in explorer..what gives?

Is Eclipse out-of-sync with the file system?

Sometimes you have to hit F5 to force it to resync with the file system. Try that, and see if your file system is keeping up with Eclipse.

Comment

nothing at all..

i do this..

open my project..
      file->new file->(select dir, name file, finish)
      type "asfsf" then save the file
      F5 or refresh or whatever else i've tried..
      go to explorer and NOTHING in the project or workspace in explorer...

anything else i'm missing..thanks!

Comment

Works for me...

You said "pick directory". Are you sure the directory is inside your project? Are you looking in the folder you actually picked for the file? Make sure you aren't looking at an old, alternate workspace you once used, but instead the workspace you opened when Eclipse opened.

Comment

i guess eclipse has problems constructing projects from ant files? is it best to create a project from scratch? i had an existing ant script that i thought eclipse
          could use to import the project, but maybe not? when i build it from scratch it seems to work. what is the general consensus on eclipse - good or mediocre?

Comment

Originally posted by gregturn View Post
            You said "pick directory". Are you sure the directory is inside your project? Are you looking in the folder you actually picked for the file? Make sure you aren't looking at an old, alternate workspace you once used, but instead the workspace you opened when Eclipse opened.
            i select a folder in my project (i only have one project) and it never shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by lukesloot View Post

i do this..

open my project..
              file->new file->(select dir, name file, finish)
              type "asfsf" then save the file
              F5 or refresh or whatever else i've tried..
              go to explorer and NOTHING in the project or workspace in explorer...
              Does the file show up in Eclipse?
              If it does, then you are not looking in the right place in Explorer.(remember that an open Explorer window will show new files at the end of the list not in alphabetical order with the files that were there when you opened the window. You may have to refresh Explorer to get your files all in order after a new one is added).
              Eclipse files are not magical, they are regular files.
              You may have to refresh in Eclipse if Eclipse does not show the file but this is very unusual if Eclipse created the file.

If the file shows up in Eclipse but not in Windows Explorer, you must not be in the right directory. There are no invisible files.

Comment

hello,

yes, the new files show up in eclipse(that's where i create them), but never in explorer. when i create a project from scratch eclipse works as expected, but when i create one based on ant ant build file i guess eclipse see's this as some sort of read only project? weird behavior. yah, new files added to that sort of eclipse project never ever show up in explorer or anywhere on the file system doing a searcn. it's fine though..i built the env from scratch and it works.. took about an hour, but i got it done. too much automation in an ide scares me anyway

thanks.

Comment

ANT scripts, or manual files?

Now I'm really confused. You went from creating files to using an ant script. Are you saying you created a project based on an ant script? I really haven't worked from that angle. I usually create a project, then import files. Sometimes I may have to edit the ant script, because it might be pointing at some other hard-coded paths instead of using relative paths.

You initially said you couldn't create a simple file. However, maybe I'm not understanding your entire flow of getting set up.

With regards to Eclipse, I think its really awesome. And a lot of that comes from the ability for people to make plug-ins. I have found really powerful plug-ins for working with things like Spring, Terracotta, Subversion, Python, and so forth that make it a really powerful IDE. Throw in the refactoring tools, and thats all I need!

Comment

Working...
                  X